Help With Motherboard Fan

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Cal, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Cal

Cal Newbie

Hi there,
    Im having problems with my Asus A8N-E chip fan. It is making alot of noise recently and also when im booting the pc the bios says that the chip fan is turning slow. Is there a way to fix it?

2. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

ASUS mobo's has a known chipset fan issue.. i got my A8N-SLi and within two weeks, the chipset fan failed on me. it's probably gonna fail on you pretty soon. good news is you can get a replacement..free of charge. just contact some ASUS dealers or suppliers.

fyi, my system was running fine even without the failed fan, of course a bit hotter than usual.. :mrgreen:

if you don't want to wait, you could get yourself the Zalman northbridge cooler : http://www.pccasegear.com/prod262.htm but be warned that thing is a bit tall and might just give you problems if your using a very "long" graphics card.

:thumb:

3. GarPhreak

GarPhreak Newbie

I've got the same mobo, where does it say in the bios that the fan is running slow? :think:

All I know is that some fan somewhere in my system is kinda noisy - and it's not the case fan... :shifty:

...I think it's the PSU, how do I tell? :?

4. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Use your ear.. :) also. vaccumm your pc from time to time.. the collected dust here in the PC can be quite scary.

5. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

You want to know about scary amounts of collected dust, how about so much dust on the HSF of the CPU that the fan can't spin fast enough to cool it down! I saw that before, and thankfully for my friend, the BIOS had an auto shut-down feature so there was almost no damage.:nuts:

6. GarPhreak

GarPhreak Newbie

My pc is new tho'... If it's a dust problem then I'll really :wall:...

The last time I used my ear, I wasted RM20 on an LED case fan! :eh: :doh:

Looks like I'm gonna haf2 open it up to find out... :roll: :faint:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  7. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

from : http://forums.rojakpot.com/showthread.php?t=16923&page=3

i've already got a replacement NB fan long ago for free! it has been working fine but just a month or so ago..it's starting to break down again. :evil:

either i :

1. try to get another free fan
    2. remove it and hope my mobo doesn't get too hot
    3. get a passive zalman NB fan (and cut it because it's too big)

i'm going for option 1 then 2 if failing that. 3 is just too much trouble. no more asus mobo's for me. next time i'll go with DFi.

:snooty:

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Don't be lazy.... :D I clean mine every week...:mrgreen:

9. ALstonLoong

ALstonLoong Newbie

Well theres one thing u can do, put some lubricant on the fan. ALthough this method wont help u for long, but at least let your fan live abit longer.

10. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Nope, fans completely dead. Anyway I ordered the heatsink. Thanks for the info and input.