Pentium D 805 only show 1 processor

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by ShikiMT, May 28, 2006.

1. ShikiMT

ShikiMT Newbie

Hi, I have just install a fresh copy of XP on my system after much headach (Link:wall: Here) and a new problem show up, Task Manager is showing my 805 as having only one core, ever when set to "One Graph Per CPU". System Properties see it correctly as a Pentium D, and i can see two processor in Device Manager. CPU Z also show only one, the menu is gray out. i have try 2 set of processor and MB and still the same problem. please someone help.

Here some pictures:
    Task Manger
    System Properties
    Device Manager
    CPU-Z

Windows XP Pro
    Pentium D 805
    P5LD2 Deluxe
    OCZ Gold Series PC2 5400 1x512MB(one of the modules was bad)

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

maybe you need a bios upgrade :think: need at least a BIOS version 0506 & above

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Check your BIOS. If I'm not mistaken you can disable a core through BIOS... :think: So go through the settings.

4. ShikiMT

ShikiMT Newbie

zy, my bios is already updated to 0603.

PsYkHoTiK, i didn't see any option like that in the bios, do you know what it call?

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Sadly no... lol. I've heard that you can disable a core through BIOS though.

6. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin Newbie

It's NOT your BIOS. I am not sure why anyone would say it is after you mentioned that Windows correctly see's two processors in device manager (which get's it's device info from the BIOS).

Based on what I see in your CPU-Z, your FSB and multiplier are all fine. Unless you tried some crazy overclocking and did damage, the processor appears fine. I was concerned about
    the processor selection function. I believe you should be able to choose which core.

Also, since device manager is showing two CPU's, you are more then likly to be getting the benefits of two CPU's, so not to worry.

Possibly, your Windows install has some issues. You didn't mention if you installed from a SP-2 CD or had to install from SP-0 or SP-1 and then update to SP-2. Give a bit more info, and that should help.

7. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

he is already using SP2 according to his screenshot

8. ShikiMT

ShikiMT Newbie

my install was WinXP SP2.
    (my P4 would let me processor select P4HT)

here what i got from using Intel® Processor Identification Utility.

PIDU Message

Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility
    Version: 2.8.20060328
    Time Stamp: 2006/05/28 16:32:12
    Number of processors in system: 1
    Current processor: #1
    Processor Name: Future Intel(R) Processor
    Type: 0
    Family: F
    Model: 4
    Stepping: 7
    Revision: 3
    L1 Instruction Cache: 12 Kオops
    L1 Data Cache: 16 KB
    L2 Cache: 1 MB
    Packaging: Unknown
    EIST: No
    MMX(TM): Yes
    SIMD: Yes
    SIMD2: Yes
    SIMD3: Yes
    Enhanced Halt State: No
    Execute Disable Bit: No
    Hyper-Threading Technology: No
    Intel(R) Extended Memory 64 Technology: No
    Intel(R) Virtualization Technology: No

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Two cores didn't appear in his task manager.
    http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f56/shikimt/Support/WTM.gif

Now back to the problem at hand.
    Try using the latest version of PIDU

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  10. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin Newbie

Try reading my post. I already know he has SP-2, but my question was if he installed from a SP-2 CD or had to install from SP-0 or SP-1 and then update to SP-2.

Follow along. :haha:

11. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin Newbie

This is a bad read because the version you used was pre-release and would not know what dual core is. Download the latest version as PsYkHoTiK suggested.

12. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin Newbie

Oh crap. After reading about all the problems you had installing Windows XP, I wonder if there aren't multiple hardware problems. I would suggest running MemTest 86+ for a full 24-hour period to get things started.

13. ShikiMT

ShikiMT Newbie

this is the latest version

14. ShikiMT

ShikiMT Newbie

ran memtest 86+ for about 14+ hour without any error.

if the processer that i use to install window was bad and it cause this, when i switch to a different processer should the error still be there? or do i need to reinstall. i thinking about trying that second processor and install on a different HDD to see if it still does it.

15. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin Newbie

Since I still suspect a software issue (possibly corrupt Windows install), I suggest running the System File Checker utility. Go to the command prompt: sfc /scannow

16. ShikiMT

ShikiMT Newbie

ran sfc and got no error.

i tryed a fresh install with both processor on a different drive and for both cases everything work, but the PIU still get me the same message and readout. CPU-Z saw two core and so does TasK Manger.

So the only problem left is why Intel PIU still don't recognized there own product correctly.:nuts:

17. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin Newbie

First off, it sounds like we are closing in on the problem. You reinstalled Windows (onto a new hard disk) and everything looks like it is supposed to. I would thouroughly test your other hard disk with the manufacturers software from their site to make sure it's not failing. Next, make certain you have installed the latest Intel INF chipset drivers from the Intel site.

Also, Intel's PIU displays this for my CPU:
    [​IMG]

18. ShikiMT

ShikiMT Newbie

i forgot to mention that i switched to the second mobo in my last post. did fresh install on it with the original HDD and samething happen, IPIU still don't recognized it but everything else is correct. It was most likely the mobo that was causing those problem.

This is what i been getting...
    [​IMG]

BTW, thanks for all the help so far.

19. ShikiMT

ShikiMT Newbie

Just got of the phone with Intel Support. After half an hour of wait and point talk, he told me that there was nothing wrong with the processor and to wait for the next release of Intel(R) Processor ID Utility. :eh: WHAT??? :shock: :shock: :shock:
    :think: :think: :think:
    well there is technically nothing wrong with system and all work fine i guess ill just use it as is for now.

20. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

o_0

That was their answer?