Isit possible to mod notebook BIOS?

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by ChampionLLY, May 31, 2006.

1. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

as above... know nuts abt modding BIOS :p

2. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin Newbie

In short: Yes, it is possible to modify the BIOS of a notebook or any other BIOS. The tricky part is knowing how to go about doing it, and knowing your limitations.

Most BIOS's can be backed up, disassemled, modified, and reflashed. You will need a large range of software tools to begin this process, and without working knowledge and plenty of experience you could end up with a piece of hardware that won't ever boot up again. The upside is that you can almost always get the manufacturer to replace the BIOS chip or mainboard should things go very bad, but this is neither cheap nor easy.

Without experience in modding a sample saved BIOS first, you are very likely to kill your system trying. This said, even if you are very experience with writing BIOS code, you will still need to know the hardware parameters which you are confined to, and test them as well. When it's all said and done, it is usually just not worth it for someone to learn all of this required skill, practice it until comfortably knowledgeable, and then make some modification that might not have much impact on the system.

Also- keep in mind that there is A LOT of software out there that will make life easier, and not require a modded BIOS.

PS: If this post helps you, please let me know by adding to my reputation by clicking the scale icon under my user name.

3. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

i didnt learn a thing in ur post...
    mayb my question wasnt clear enough..
    thx anyway...

4. DarkAdam

DarkAdam Newbie

Why would you need to mod your bios ? to OC ?
    what Das Capitolin said is basically true. There is basically
    no easy way to mod the bios, and it should only be attempted by experienced users.

What he is saying is that it is possible to Program your own bios and flash it for use. However, you would need to know the hardware parameters, like which clock gen your mobo uses etc,
    and where it stores the info about the various parameters like fsb etc. This may or may not be a problem, as some manufacturers like HP, use their own clockgen/mobo/parts and thus it is near impossible to find info about it. If the normal software can not detect your clockgen or other part models, you may have to open up your laptop to manually look for the model numbers. This is based on my own simple knowledge of the subject, so if anything is wrong, feel free to correct me :p

Any mistake made might make your notebook unbootable, and thus useless. hope this clarifies things a little :p

5. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007