ED#65 : Intel Penryn Will Not Run On The Santa Rosa Platform

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Here's an odd piece of information we obtained on the upcoming 45nm Intel Penryn mobile processors. According to our source, the Intel Penryn processors will NOT be able to run on the current Mobile Intel GM/PM965 chipset.

Intel's original roadmap showed that the 45nm Intel Penryn processors will be used in what is known internally as the Santa Rosa refresh. However, our source says that is not likely to happen for two reasons.

Here's a quote from the editorial :-
    [​IMG]

Link : ED#65 : Intel Penryn Will Not Run On The Santa Rosa Platform

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  2. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

So does this mean penryn will not work on my p5b deluxe? (P965):think:

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, this actually refers to the Mobile Penryn processor, not the desktop Wolfdale or Yorksfield processors.

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I don't think P965 supports Penryn.

5. Adrian Wong

Theoretically, it should be able to support the Penryn.

In fact, Intel's original plan was to have the Penryn processors run on the PM/GM965 motherboards until Cantiga arrives.

6. Trinity

Hmmm, I still wonder...:think:

Not like I am in some rush to get to 45nm, But it would be nice to know if p965 works with it.:|

Hehehe, My e6600 runs so fast compared to my old system that I am still amazed.:D

7. Adrian Wong

Oh, you mean the desktop P965? Yeah, it will work with the 45nm Yorkfield (quad-core) and Wolfdale (dual-core) processors.

I was only referring to the Mobile P965 chipset and the mobile Penryn processors.

8. Trinity

Wow! Thats so nice to know.:D

9. Chai

Er...I don't think so. Check the Anandtech article. All P965 is not in the compatible list, only X38, P35 and some 975X.

10. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

11. Chai

Hmm...I guess P965 unofficially support Penryn by 'overclocking' since it doesn't officially support 1333MHz FSB (maybe due to RAM divider?). But I guess it should work fine. :D

12. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Pretty much like the very old KT400 chipset :mrgreen:

13. Adrian Wong

Yup, I think that's it.

14. Trinity

15. Trinity

16. Adrian Wong

Hehehe... Same link. :D

Yup, practically all P965 (and newer) motherboards will be able to run the 45nm desktop processors.

Just to be clear, the editorial is actually about the Penryn mobile processors. Although Intel calls their new 45nm processors the Penryn family, the desktop processors are actually called Wolfdale (dual-core) and Yorkfield (quad-core). Penryn is the code-name for the mobile processor.