NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT Technology Report

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

On November 9th, 2006, NVIDIA launched the G80 GPU. Not only does this new GPU boast an entirely new massively-parallel unified architecture, it also marks the beginning of a new era in 3D graphics - DirectX 10.

Almost a year later, NVIDIA is finally launching a refresh of the G80 GPU - the NVIDIA G92 GPU. It is also known as the D8P, short for Desktop 8 Performance. Although the basic architecture remains unchanged from the G80, the G92 comes with some nifty improvements. This is why the G92 has 73 million more transistors than the G80 even though it actually has fewer shader processors.

Here's a quote from the report :-[blockquote]"The NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT will incidentally be the world's first graphics card to support PCI Express 2.0. That means it is capable of supporting up to 32 PCI Express lanes, essentially doubling the PCI Express bandwidth to 16 GB/s when installed in a compatible motherboard."[/blockquote]

[​IMG]

Link : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT Technology Report

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

3. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Is it equal to RM680 for the 8800GT? if so, I'm collecting my moolah for this card if it gets cheap. And that beats HD2900 for sure! :cool:

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

It is a really sweet card. I don't have the GeForce 8800 GTS to compare it against but IMHO, it should beat the 320MB version flat and be about the same level as the 640MB model.

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

From Hothardware...Hmm...

6. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

sleekest card ever! if only the PCB was black...ahhhh

sleeker than a 8600GT, i wouldnt mind sacrificing 10C or even 20C for GT's dimension.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  7. Adrian Wong

Err.. I have it running IN THE OPEN just one foot away from my ears. It's a quiet cooler, except for the loud whine for 2-3 seconds when I boot up the system.

8. Adrian Wong

Yeah, and definitely much faster than the 8600 series. :thumb:

9. Chai

I don't think the other 8800 series have loud whine, even at startup, does it?

10. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I'm going to get this... I'm going to get this... I'm going to gEETTTT this!!! :mrgreen:

11. Adrian Wong

Well, it's just for 2-3 secs, and that's it. Even at full load, the fan is quiet. You can come by and check it out if you want. :D

12. Adrian Wong

IMHO, the best value card in the GeForce 8 series. Far better than plonking down money for the GeForce 8600/8500 series.

13. Chai

I have to hear it for myself before I conclude. :D

14. Adrian Wong

Hehe.. Come over then. :D

15. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

I wish was more of a gamer so I could justify getting one for myself. Damn, what a sweet card.:shock:

16. Adrian Wong

It is really a sweet card. Take a look at the benchmark results - Tech ARP - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT Graphics Card Review

So far, the best value GeForce 8800 series card. :thumb:

17. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Now I would like to see if this card paired with a hd-dvd/bluray drive could do hi-def on the pc with good performance.

18. Adrian Wong

Oh, the GeForce 8800 GT comes with a new video processor that takes over the entire decoding of HD videos from the CPU. So, CPU times are apparently around the 20% when decoding HD videos.

Of course, you will need to use a HD decoder software that supports the NVIDIA PureVideo processor. The newer versions of Cyberlink DVD player and other DVD players should support it. Otherwise, you will have to buy the NVIDIA PureVideo decoder... :(

19. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

that only applies to h.264.

purevideo HD cant handle the entire VC1 decoding.

20. Adrian Wong

Oh yeah, it can't fully decode VC-1. If I'm not mistaken, the GeForce 8800 GT's VP2 processor can handle all but bitstream processing for VC-1