ED#71 : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (G92) Benchmark Results

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

We have managed to obtain a retail NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB graphics card. In fact, we are putting it to the test right now!

A full-fledged comparison will take quite sometime to complete, so in the meantime, here is a quick comparison between the new GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB and the GeForce 8800 GT in four DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 games.

Here's a quote from the editorial :-
    [​IMG]

Link : ED#71 : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (G92) Benchmark Results

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Mmm...

Fap fast. :o

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Booked yours yet?? :wicked:

Hey, didn't I hear you guys thinking about getting the ATI Radeon HD 3870? :think: :mrgreen:

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

It was a thought a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. :mrgreen:

I'm just waiting tomorrow to click mine in. :dance:

5. Adrian Wong

LOL!!!! Long time ago! :haha: :haha:

Hey, no pre-orders??? :think:

6. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

ED#71 : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (G92) Benchmark Results Rev. 2.0

We have managed to obtain a retail NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB graphics card. In fact, we are putting it to the test right now!

A full-fledged comparison will take quite sometime to complete, so in the meantime, have a look at a quick comparison between the new GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB and the GeForce 8800 GT in four DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 games.

In this revision we have added results and comparisons of the GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB against the GeForce 8800 GTX and GeForce 8600 GTS.

Here's a quote from the editorial :-
    [​IMG]

Link : ED#71 : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (G92) Benchmark Results Rev. 2.0

7. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Or 2 .... that GPU is not really what we expected Adrian take a peek at this :shock:

HD 3850 Crossfire vs. 8800GTS 512MB G92 :: TweakTown

The new version of the Accelero S1 is supporting the 8800GT and HD 3870 though :)

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

1. You need 2 3850 to beat one 8800GTS.
    2. You need a PSU with 2 PCIe power connector.
    3. You need a board capable of supporting at least 2 8x PCIe to get that kind of performance.
    4. Power consumption will be higher than 8800GTS
    5. Crossfire support isn't particularly great.

9. Adrian Wong

Exactly! :think:

10. Mac Daddy

I think you both missed my point ... in most of the benchmarks the 8800 beat out those 2 cards .... pretty lame if you ask me :roll:

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yeah the 3850 is Crossfire is ~GTX level whereas the GT is at that level let alone GTS.

As for cooling, MCW60 FTW! :p

12. Chai

Well, when Adrian said that we wanted to get ATi instead of GTS, was due to the fact that and recent Intel chipset will support Crossfire, while the Nvidia requires crappy Nvidia motherboard. And with the inflated price of 8800GT/GTS, it wasn't a completely bad idea to go for Crossfire, since none of the single solution cards today are capable of playing Crysis at max detail.

We already owned P35 chipset motherboard, and it isn't wise to change the motherboard again.

13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yeah and also the 8x + 4x on the P35s killed it even more for me. :(

As well as the cruddy CCC and multi monitor issues (happy dual monitor person here :wave: ).

14. Mac Daddy

Ahh I see makes perfect sense thanks for the explaination :)

15. Chai

But I got the 8800GTS Adrian is testing right now! :thumb:

16. Mac Daddy

Sweet :D

Ya well I am not a CCC lover here either I generally DL the driver itself now and run it with Rivatuner. On the 1 x 16 and 1 x 4 PCIE mention on the P35's been thinking about that here. The X38 has true 2 x 16 PCIE. Looking at these two motherboards and wondering if its worth the extra 80 bucks right now.

I will be Crossfiring 2 modded x1950 to start which will be limited to ver 1.0 in crossfire anyway because of the GPU. Down the road not sure the HD38xx series doesn't do much for me and to be honest when I upgrade I think I could at least match the 2 x HD3850's in the review I posted the link on with the O/C's and temps I get with this Accelero mod.

These are the two boards I will be picking one up in the next week or two :think:

Canada Computers - Motherboards > Socket LGA775/T : Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 Socket 775 Intel P35 + ICH9R Dual-Channel DDR2 1066/800/667Mhz 8x Serial ATAII IEEE1394 GigaLAN 8-Channel Audio Support 1333Mhz FSB.

Canada Computers - Motherboards > Socket LGA775/T : Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 Socket 775 Intel X38 Express + ICH9R Chipset Dual-Channel DDR2 /800/1066Mhz SATA 3Gb/s 8-Channel Intel High Definition Audio Gigabit Lan Firewire Dual PCI-Express Graphic Slots A

17. Chai

I'm not really a fan of dual card configuration, because of the heat output, and power consumption is twice of a single setup, but the performance is nothing close to 100% faster, even 50% is considered as very good improvement.

18. Adrian Wong

I'm personally a fan of SINGLE-slot cards.

TBH, while the GeForce 8800 GTS is significantly faster than the GeForce 8800 GT, I actually prefer the GT.

19. Chai

Single card slot? Doesn't matter, I won't be happy with the cooling of even the dual slot solution anyway. It's quite a waste of money not to overclock cards like G92.

20. Mac Daddy

Thanks for the feedback and I appreciate your opinions. I know Crossfire isn't a perfect science and nor is SLI and realistically an improvement of 30 to 50 percent is what you are going to get. On the temps and power consumption really not my concern here.

A few questions here don't mean to hijack your thread Dashken lol :wave:

For PsYkHoTiK I re-read something you posted after I saw an issue today a member of ours had on another board using the first Mobo I posted the link for.

Your quote was this ... He is using CrossfireX with 2 HD3870 ...

His was this ....

This Mobo has 1 x PCIE x 16, 1 x PCIE x 4 and 2 x PCIE x 2. It seems to me that when using the PCIE x 4 slot for the second card the P35 chipset cascades the 2 x PCIE x 2 to emulate a PCIE x 8 through the BIOS. Is that correct and is that his issue and what you were referring too ?

To Chai and I think in general on the X38 chipset. Does this allow the 2 x PCIE x 16 slots to run independently of the PCIE x 2 slots and others on Mobos using it?

The reason I ask the latter question is Crossfire(X) and SLI will improve with time. Also the 45nM Intel quads both these boards support will come down in price in the next 2 to 3 quarters as well. I don't want to upgrade my Mobo for a while.

Asking your advise not just for now as I initially will be running an E2180 on this upgrade because of the price, performance and power consumption. Thinking ahead :think: