Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Quad Core Processor Review

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

The Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 quad-core processor is no mere upgrade of the Kentsfield-based Core 2 Extreme processors. Underneath the heatspreader lies a radically-different processor, built not only using the smaller 45 nm process technology but also Intel's new high-k dielectric and metal gate technology.

The result? A smaller, cooler and more efficient processor. Oh, let's not forget... a 50% larger L2 cache! The Core 2 Extreme QX9650 sports a massive 12MB L2 cache. All with the same TDP of 130 W. Amazing, isn't it?

But how fast is it really? After all, this is a high-end enthusiast-grade processor with a hefty price premium. It had better be a couple of Mach numbers faster than the previous generation! Well, this is what we will be looking into in this review. Not only will we examine its performance in games, we will also take a look at its performance in 3D rendering and video encoding.

[​IMG]

Link : Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Quad Core Processor Review

2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Looks good and as we know L2 cache is where AMD's Phenom is weak. Overall though keep in mind we have yet to see software that utilizes the quad cores efficiently and until we do all current benchmarks provide an inaccurate result ...

On NGOHQ Regeneration O/Ced a E2140 duo core near Q6600 benchmarks .... software has a way to go yet :cool:

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, right now, quad-cores do not benefit games much. They all need to be coded to support multi-core processors.

In any case, graphics-intensive games like Crysis will remain graphics-limited. Even the E6420 is fast enough for Crysis when paired with the GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB.

4. Mac Daddy

Yep and it seems the Intel Duo cores O/C better as well I have seen this E6550 I am installing in my new rig O/Ced to 3.7G stable .... so lets see if I can get to 4G :D

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yup, C2D is definately much easier to overclock, much cooler too.

6. Mac Daddy

For sure I have a Katana2 on a Northwood Celeron just to keep it reasonable with a 2.6 to 3.1G O/C. Power consumption on the entire C2D line is in the basement this E6550 is rated @ 65W