ED#85 : Getting NVIDIA ForceWare 174 To Work With GeForce 8 Cards

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

The Windows Vista driver development for the GeForce 8 cards seems to be stopping with the ForceWare Release 169, the most recent of which is the ForceWare 169.44 driver. NVIDIA has restricted the use of Release 174 ForceWare driver only to the new GeForce 9 series cards. The recently-released GeForce 9600 GT is the only example of the new card series.

If you try to install ForceWare 174 using a GeForce 8 series card, it won't allow you to do so, stating that no compatible graphics card were found. However, it is very simple to hack the driver to allow its installation with a GeForce 8 or older graphics card. Let us show you how to do it and what you can expect to gain from it.

Here's a quote from the editorial :-
    [​IMG]

Link : ED#85 : Getting NVIDIA ForceWare 174 To Work With GeForce 8 Cards

2. TotalChaos

TotalChaos Newbie

Im having good luck with 169.61 with Vista X64 and 174.70 beta worked fine for me for the most part

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I have not tried 174.70 beta yet. Did NVIDIA include support for the GeForce 8 cards? I guess they would eventually allow it for the G92 cards at least.

4. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

I didn't have any problem getting 174.20 to work with my GTS 512.

5. TotalChaos

TotalChaos Newbie

To be honest i dont remember, i use laptovideotogo to find all the most recent betas and they always offer modified .inf's . In this case I believe it was the original .inf

I have moved on to 174.82 beta's for Vista X64

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008