ED#87 : Fake DFI Motherboards

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

DFI recently discovered the presence of fake DFI motherboards in the Indonesian market. It is not yet known if the problem is limited to Indonesia.

However, there is a real possibility of fake DFI motherboards being sold elsewhere. Currently, DFI has identified these two fake DFI motherboard models...

Here's a quote from the editorial :-
    [​IMG]

Link : ED#87 : Fake DFI Motherboards

2. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Wow, thats scary..Cause i might get a DFI mobo for my machine. Is there anyway to identify it?

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Looks like you have to verify it with their list of motherboards online... and double-check with the local distributor.

It's quite common to buy a parallel-imported (gray market) motherboard and not know it. But it's quite another thing to buy a motherboard that was never manufactured by the company!! :think:

4. Adrian Wong

BTW, this reminds me of the case where NEC discovered there was a fake NEC factory in China producing NEC-branded products that NEC never designed or produced. :haha: :haha:

5. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

First Intel CPU's and now Mobo's sheesh some people have no values at all do they :shock:

Well I hope none of our friends here got burned and Lacus hope your board checks out. I think people that try and trick the honest working person like this to scam there money should be shot :nuts:

6. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Oooh, that's really really scary!

I still haven't checked that Intel CPU boxes yet! I have at least a few boxes lying about there. And now it's those DFI ones. :wall:

7. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Geez, the things people would do for money. This makes me sad :naughty:

8. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

fake stuff aren't necessary a disaster..

there were actually branded ram modules using fake hynix chip which eventually turned out to be a success within the overclocker community in china..

9. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

Got this info few days ago in DFI newsletter.Really very scary.But i think, they are kinda easy to detect the fake boards as they place the DFI logo on the board where DFI don't place them.I hope, not many people have bought these fake boards.

10. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Well, anything seems to be possible now o_O. Well, planning to get a DFI mobo for my rig..But it seems this issue atm might stop me from getting 1 :D

11. litle_8

litle_8 Newbie

WOW why DFI?

why is it only DFI mobos? what about EVGA and stuff, any way to like avoid it cause i dont want a fake mobo...

12. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

DFI boards are known to be great mobos for overclocking and tweaking. I'm guessing that tech n00bs would see the board branded "DFI" and jump on the opportunity to start overclocking with their new computer build.

Make sure that the board that you buy are actual models listed on the manufacturer's webpage, and also always buy from a reliable shop. :)

13. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

To avoid buying a fake mobo, try buying from reputed showrooms or authorized shops or retailers & avoid buying from small or unknown shops even if you get a very good deal on them.If needed, pay a bit more but always buy from big or reputed shops or distributors. ;)

14. Adrian Wong

It's hard to say. For example, counterfeit Sony MemoryStick cards.

They look like real Sony MemoryStick cards but are much cheaper. However, most of them do not actually have the storage capacity stated.

Apparently, you can check the size and it will state 4GB (for example) but when you try to write 4GB worth of data into it, it reports insufficient space. I heard that these fake Sony MS cards have like half the stated capacity.

15. Adrian Wong

I think the companies will not realize it until they start getting RMAs or complaints and demands of refund from customers with damaged or dead products. I believe that was what tipped off NEC about the presence of a counterfeit NEC factory in China. :haha:

16. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

ED#87 : Fake DFI Motherboards Rev. 2.0

DFI recently discovered the presence of fake DFI motherboards in the Indonesian market. It is not yet known if the problem is limited to Indonesia.

However, there is a real possibility of fake DFI motherboards being sold elsewhere. Currently, DFI has identified these two fake DFI motherboard models...

Update : The manufacturer of the fake DFI motherboards has been identified! It's a Chinese company and according to their company profile, it has become "the biggest private motherboard manufacturer in mainland China and sold more than 450,000 pieces worldwide monthly."

[​IMG]

Link : ED#87 : Fake DFI Motherboards Rev. 2.0

17. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

Their sales doesn't sound that bad, they don't have to do such things. Besides, its easy for others to trace back to the manufacturers.

18. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Save money on marketing.

19. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Oh my goodness, 450,000 pieces of these monthly??

Man, these counterfeiters should be shut down immediately!! :wall:

20. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

lol, their plant can be shutdown + jail + fine lor...