Secret Pre-Release Details On Windows XP Service Pack 3

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

We were the first to break the news on the release of Windows Vista Service Pack 1 and the final RTM schedule of Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Now, we will be the first to release the full details on Microsoft's Windows XP Service Pack 3, which as we know will be available for manual update on April 29, 2008. That's just a few days away!

Here's a quote from the article :-
    [​IMG]

Link : Secret Pre-Release Details On Windows XP Service Pack 3

2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Good read and either they have very good compression or they are calling on remote files during install :D

3. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

is it going to take another 900mb if I installed it on sp2 machine?

4. Mac Daddy

Thats the way I read it .....

5. 64bit

64bit Newbie

Too bad that Microsoft states that to install SP3, SP1 or SP2 should be installed first, that explains why the size is small. Planning to make an integrated Windows XP SP3 CD to make my future installation easier.

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

On the 29th? But people will be busy playing GTA IV! :o

:p

7. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

If they are going to release SP3 on 29 then what's that? WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe - I have downloaded yesterday from a known site so I think it's not a pre-release, it's the RTM. Build version 6.2.0029.0 (SRV03_QFE.031113-0918) - build date 14.04.2008! Size>316 MB

8. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

Windows XP SP3 does not include Windows Internet Explorer 7 or Windows Media Player 11.

surprise surprise

9. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

That means they complied with the latest rules and shipped it without IE and MP. To be honest I don't need them as I use something else. It is good they've done that and left the users to decide whether to install them or not.

10. Mac Daddy

I think thats a good thing as I use Firefox and Jetaudio ;)

EDIT: So does this mean now it won't default to IE to open my MSN mailbox ?? Ohh the horror :pray:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  11. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I use WMP11...

12. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I use Firefox, WMP11 and MPC. :D

13. Chai

MPC is crap on Vista though.

14. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

never had issue with MPC on vista.

What's wrong with urs?

15. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Works like a charm! What is your mpc problem?

16. Chai

Doesn't support Aero, and the video will turn black sometimes when I pause it and do something else. Never have such problems with WMP11.

17. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Never had any of these problems, which version do you use? I meant no problems at all, so far, with any of these (Vista&MPC).

18. mhenriday

mhenriday Newbie

IE 8 beta and XP SP3

«Issue #1 : You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 7 or Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1 after you install Windows XP Service Pack 3

Impact : Low – in the case of Internet Explorer 8 Beta, a Windows Update detection script will be in place. It will not offer SP3 to IE8 beta users.

KB Content : KB950719»

This is not, I hope, to be interpreted to mean that I shall be unable to install SP 3 on my present (updated) Windows XP Home SP 2 setup when the former becomes available in a Swedish-language version on 5 May ?...

Henri

19. Chai

Media Player Classic 6.4.9.1

Is there a new version lately?

20. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

The 72MB file size was taken from the internal Microsoft document. It is the size of the download via Windows Update and is probably what you only need to download if you already have SP2 installed.