Western Digital 1 TB My Book Home Edition External Hard Drive Review

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

With our important files bloating into gigabytes, traditional back-up media like CDs and DVDs are no longer practical. The future of back-up solutions lie with external hard disk drives that not only have large storage capacities but are also much easier to use and provide far better performance.

Now that hard drives are available in capacities of 1 TB, companies like Western Digital are using them to create external storage solutions of up to 2 terabytes in capacity.

Today, we are going to take a look at one of the new external hard drives - the 1 TB Western Digital My Book Home Edition external hard drive, and see what the fuss is all about.

[​IMG]

Link : Western Digital 1 TB My Book Home Edition External Hard Drive Review

2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Nice review and hey it does what it is supposed to do provide storage externally. Interesting on the features of the different versions as well :think:

3. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Fuh. 1TB portable. :) THe world edition with an ethernet interface looks interesting. SOunds like a NAS with a web server built in!

4. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Yeah, the world edition is really hardcore. It has embedded linux OS inside, is good enough to be a standalone webserver. Some hardcore hackers actually hack the mybook world implemented remote ssh terminal so that they can host websites .. HAHAHAHA.. I have yet to try this one cos my laziness overrule my inquisitive.

Well, it is actually a Smart power. You don't really need to use the power button ever. It would power off itself once the usb/firewire/eSATA is unplug or the PC is off.

Also all MyBook series 500GB and above uses only Green Power drives ;)

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Haha.. Yeah, but people like me always want to power off the units manually. Don't know why. It's just a habit. I guess we don't trust things to turn off by themselves! :haha: :haha:

6. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

heh, 1tb..I wonder how much will this cost at malaysia. Is this the portable HDD that has lights outside like Knight Rider(well the lights keeps moving :haha: )?

7. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

I love the My Books, been using the 500GB one for a while now. They look very nice and are pretty fast too.

8. Adrian Wong

Yeah, that's the one! :D

Not sure what's the latest price over here, but in the US, the 1 TB version is going for around $220 (~RM 700).

9. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Nice, but i think i get another few 1tb desktop hdd :haha: the current 1 is almost full :haha:

10. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

You can never have enough HDD!

11. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

me? Err, thanks to you..Who ask you to have so many stuff on your hdd that i want :haha:

12. Adrian Wong

I agree! :thumb: