Tech ARP Forums

Go Back   Tech ARP Forums > Site Updates & Promotions > Reviews & Articles
Register
FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reviews & Articles There will be a post for every Tech ARP article. Come in here to discuss about your favourite article!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1st Apr 2009, 01:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Just Started

noel_pg3 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashken View Post
After years of development, Microsoft finally released Windows XP Service Pack 3 for downloading early last month. Earlier, we covered how the Windows XP SP3 RC didn't support high definition audio because Microsoft apparently "forgot" to add the Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) driver for High Definition Audio devices in the latest release candidate of the Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Now that the final Windows XP Service Pack 3 has been released, one, especially yours truly, wonders if it now supports high definition audio, or if Microsoft forgot to add the driver once again?

Link : ED#96 : High Definition Audio Support In Windows XP SP3
Dashken, WinXP SP3 only includes "partial" HD Audio support. I found out that it only contains the Hdaudbus.sys file (the HD audio bus controller driver file) but NOT the "generic" HD audio driver files (Hdaprop.dll, Hdashcut.exe, Hdaudio.sys & Hdaudres.dll). It was like this with the RC2 & final releases of XP SP3. Download the full standalone WinXP SP3 package and see if the high definition audio files are there.

The full standalone package of Windows Server 2003 SP2, on the other hand, included "full" HD audio support that bundled not only the hd audio bus controller file [hdaudbus.sys], but also the generic hd audio drivers files as I've checked myself.

Last edited by noel_pg3 : 1st Apr 2009 at 01:56 AM.
noel_pg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
SPONSOR
Old 1st Apr 2009, 09:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Administrator!

Dashken has a reputation beyond reputeDashken has a reputation beyond reputeDashken has a reputation beyond reputeDashken has a reputation beyond reputeDashken has a reputation beyond reputeDashken has a reputation beyond reputeDashken has a reputation beyond reputeDashken has a reputation beyond reputeDashken has a reputation beyond reputeDashken has a reputation beyond reputeDashken has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel_pg3 View Post
Dashken, WinXP SP3 only includes "partial" HD Audio support. I found out that it only contains the Hdaudbus.sys file (the HD audio bus controller driver file) but NOT the "generic" HD audio driver files (Hdaprop.dll, Hdashcut.exe, Hdaudio.sys & Hdaudres.dll). It was like this with the RC2 & final releases of XP SP3. Download the full standalone WinXP SP3 package and see if the high definition audio files are there.

The full standalone package of Windows Server 2003 SP2, on the other hand, included "full" HD audio support that bundled not only the hd audio bus controller file [hdaudbus.sys], but also the generic hd audio drivers files as I've checked myself.
I tried with the RC version and found that it doesn't support full HD. And KB888111 from SP2 cannot be installed.

That's why I created this article and this one. From all the comments on my blog, it seems the final version doesn't support it as well. So, it's either you use the edited package or mess with the registry to install KB888111.

I've decided to stay with SP2 which is doing marvelously at home.
| Cooler Master CM690 chassis | Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 550W PSU |
| Dell E248WFP 24" Widescreen | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 |
Dashken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 01:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Just Started

noel_pg3 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashken View Post
I tried with the RC version and found that it doesn't support full HD. And KB888111 from SP2 cannot be installed.

That's why I created this article and this one. From all the comments on my blog, it seems the final version doesn't support it as well. So, it's either you use the edited package or mess with the registry to install KB888111.

I've decided to stay with SP2 which is doing marvelously at home.
Not a big problem when using third party HD audio drivers under WinXP with either SP2/SP3 instead of the "generic" HD audio drivers from either KB835221 or KB888111 [it's more preferable to use vendor high def audio xp drivers anyway]. Microsoft is expected to end support for WinXP SP2 in July 2010 as noted here. After mid-July 2010, MS will be making updates only for XP SP3.

Check out this article by Erik Chapple at the myITForum.com site on adding UAA HD Audio support in WinXP SP3:
myITforum.com : UAA HD AUDIO DEVICE SUPPORT IN WINDOWS XP SP3

Last edited by noel_pg3 : 13th May 2009 at 01:28 PM.
noel_pg3 is offline   Reply With Quote