ASUS Launches The Eee PC 1000HD, 1000H & 904HD!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

ASUS just announced the launch of three new Eee PC models - the Eee PC 904HD, the Eee PC 1000 HD and the Eee PC 1000H. Let's take a look at these new netbooks! :thumb:

[​IMG]

Link : ASUS Launches Eee PC 1000HD, 1000H & 904HD!

2. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

ATOM .. hehehe .. next questions, how much?

Love to have one...

3. hjlavery

hjlavery Newbie

Am I the only one who finds the whole "Eee Stick" slightly disturbing..... :p

4. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Look good and notice these have 6 cell batteries. Still wondering why the heck Foxxcon didn't offer this on the other notebook :think:

5. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Foxconn? Surely you mean Asus. Foxconn absolutely sucks.

6. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

i think because there is no profit margin. these guys don't make alot out of it. this is more of a branding thing than anything else. the nettop, netbook market isn't big enough yet. it's growing, yes, but the taiwanese fellas still have to drive the awareness.

the atom platform has a lot of limitations from the manufacturing pov. eg, if u want to do an atom based desktop, you cant actually put more than a single dimm slot in it. was told "the" boss wouldn't be happy bout it. well, unless u are powerful enoug, and u have the ball to dare the big shot who supplies the chips..

So, question.. why spend so much effort on it when you can't really get alot out of it? get one workable netbook out , sell it and be happy with it. good enough. i believe is this the strategy the majority are doing.

7. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

can you tell me why exactly foxconn sux?

8. Mac Daddy

No Bro actually I was refering to the article being discussed on this thread. Seems the Foxconn notebook being discussed doesn't offer a 6 cell battery only a 3 cell offering 3 hours max.

http://forums.techarp.com/reviews-articles/24433-foxconn-qbook-tech-report.html

I agree on one workable netbook and good points as always man. I think that was my point on the link I posted for Unix above. That 3 hour 3 cell battery solution is not acceptable and even Chai agrees on that and he knows more about mobile Puters than I do.

Why produce a product that is not desirable to consumers in the first place? :think:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  9. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

10. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

All major brand have some what Foxconn inside. You may have tiny piece such as connectors or some even the whole MB but rebrand or just never open to see it. Foxconn has everything. You can't escape from Foxconn. I bet something in your PC sure is a Foxconn .. :lol:

11. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, they even make things like processor socket. :mrgreen:

12. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

i think this is more of an unrealistic expectation thingy. I think it's a desirable product, and ASUS didn't even make any serious noise about their 700 series launch, and the first batch was sold out within hours over here. the makers are expecting the netbook volume shipment to hit 50millions within the next 2 years, and as we speak the boss can't produce enough chips to meet the demand in taiwan. This is a huge number. surely it's desirable.

Do remember that the average sellign price of a netbook is supposed to stay below SGD800, maybe even lower. Yet ppl are complaining that 2 hrs of bat life isn't good enough, the storage isn't big enough, and the screen reso isn't large enough. when the makers throw in more powerful specs, others will make noise about its higher than average suggested retail pricing, and it's better to go for a full fledged SGD1.2k 14inch dell notebook. WTH? Guys! this is a low-cost mobile pc, designed from ground-up for net apps! how can you even compare it to a notebook? anything other than net surfing and light word processing, take it as a bonus. please!

13. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

For me, having an option for bigger battery is an important priority. What's the point of having the portability when I still need to carry the adapter around.

Higher res, bigger HDD, faster processor, more RAM is not important at all. Not me for a netbook.

14. Mac Daddy

True but I was refering to the Foxconn unit with only the 3 cell battery available. This ASUS one for battery life alone is a more desirable product. If I pick something mobile here all I will be doing on it is word processing and editing photos, etc ;)

15. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I agree with that. Netbooks, they are usually stripped down to the bare minimum, just exactly the way that it could be OK to surf the net. I mean, they have already mathematically optimized it! :D

My EEEPc's 4GB SSD isn't really much, but when I plug in an external hard-disk, that'll help so much! :D

16. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

why do people need to much space on a netbook :p to store some pink folders? lol

17. Adrian Wong

If I'm not mistaken, they are all priced from RM 1.6K to RM 2K.

18. Adrian Wong

19. Adrian Wong

Hehe.. Exactly. Even Apple iPods were made by Foxconn. :mrgreen:

20. Adrian Wong

My biggest problem with these three new models is not so much the battery life. These Eee PCs have pretty good battery life.

Unfortunately, these 3 models come only with HDDs. IMHO, the biggest advantages of these netbooks are not only that they are so small, light and portable, they are also very durable, thanks to the SSD. Without an SSD, they are really nothing more than mini-notebooks.