ED#100 : NVIDIA Responds To The ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

With the launch of the ATI Radeon HD 4000 series of graphics cards, NVIDIA's advisories have started sounding a little "desperate". This didn't use to be the case when ATI was shipping barely competitive cards like the Radeon HD 2900 XT.

The increasing desperation was particularly evident in the most recent advisory, which was sent out when ATI launched the eagerly-awaited Radeon HD 4870 X2 dual-GPU graphics card. From the way NVIDIA was attacking the Radeon HD 4870 X2 in the advisory, you might be forgiven for thinking that NVIDIA was the underdog fighting to survive.

To be fair to them, NVIDIA is not the only one to employ such tactics. They are merely the latest to do so. Let's take a look at their latest advisory. Our comments will be coloured red.

[​IMG]

Link : ED#100 : NVIDIA Responds To The ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2

2. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

I'd only be interested in SLI if Intel chipsets could support it and even then a single slot gpu that's faster than two seperate cards, costs less and uses less power at idle is much more attractive.

3. hjlavery

hjlavery Newbie

I must say that I think that this is a total waste of time for NVIDIA; The target market of both SLI solutions and the 4870x2 are enthusiasts, and last time I checked most computer enthusists dont put much (if any) stock in manufacturers PR documents, but rather trust independant reviews and benchmarks.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

These advisories are only issued to reviewers / publications. I guess they are hoping that some media will just swallow the whole thing hook, line and sinker.