ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series Fan Hacking Guide

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

As everyone already knows by now, the ATI Radeon HD 4800 series of graphics cards is fast. REALLY fast. As a result, the prices of competing NVIDIA graphics cards have fallen so fast that the folks at Santa Clara are still nursing their nose bleeds.

However, users of the NVIDIA graphics cards have one advantage - it is actually easier to overclock the NVIDIA graphics cards. ATI not only restricts the amount of overclocking that can be performed, they also failed (intentionally?) to include the option to adjust the fan speed.

In this guide, we will show you how to hack the fan speed of a Radeon HD 4800 series graphics card so that you can ramp it all the way up!

[​IMG]

Link : ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series Fan Hacking Guide

2. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

hmm, should we actually added the bios modification too? since it helps lower down the core/mem so the idle temp should be lower..was suppose to post this but then..too many assignments T_T

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Are you referring to the 2D clock speeds? Or the BIOS mod for the fan?

4. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I have a 4850 Sapphire. With a different set of cooler.

The strange thing in GPUZ is, the FAN speed is always 1RPM. I could catch a glimpse of the fan speed rating before that, it was like 3000. Then it becomes 1 all the time. But it is still running at that speed, judging by the smooth whirring sound.

Should I need to look into that? So far so good. The gpu temps are like 50 degrees C constant.

5. Adrian Wong

GPUZ probably could not detect the fan speed properly. You can try using RivaTuner to check the fan speed.

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Maybe the fan is too slow to register?

7. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

nah, his 4850 is using 2pin connector which usually don't have speed sensor.and yeah, i was reffering to 2d clock :D. So even using other application the speed will be the same..it happen to me too on my old 3870 :D (as in speed always shows at 1%)

8. Adrian Wong

Ahh.. Counting on you to write that mod! :D

But hmm.. I think we can mod CCC to reduce the 2D speed too, right?

9. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

After installing + deploying, I could see the RPM - it's some 3000... then hours later it becomes 1RPM. I dunno why that sensor is so fickle. :haha:

10. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

the bios fix? nope..just some application will do :D just need to open ccc to check if the correct 2d clock is being display and if not mistaken, this only applies to 4850 cards