ASUS P6T Deluxe X58 Express Motherboard (OC Palm Edition) Review

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

The early readiness of the ASUS P6T Deluxe X58 Express motherboard is proof of ASUS' technical prowess. ASUS already has full retail units of this motherboard ready for sale more than a month before the actual launch of the Intel X58 Express chipset and the Intel Core i7 processor. It is a certainty that the ASUS P6T Deluxe will be one of the few motherboards available for sale on launch date.

However, the P6T Deluxe does not look like a rushed job. As it is a pioneer motherboard for a new platform, it is obvious that ASUS went all out to make this motherboard the best one they could design. If they want to make a mark on launch date, they had better deliver their best work and it shows in the P6T Deluxe.

[​IMG]

Link : ASUS P6T Deluxe X58 Express Motherboard (OC Palm Edition) Review

2. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

I don't like the fin design on the NB. It looks like it would be useless as soon as one uses a tower design cpu cooler. I'd prefer something which is less reliant on using the stock cpu cooler or similar designs.

3. Spanner

Spanner Newbie

Jeepers is it really that far away till the i7 release, I am a tad disappointed that it is so late in the year . Hmm right in time for the festive shopping season. I do hope there are plenty of stock available....

4. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

I think I'll take it.

:haha: :haha: :haha:

5. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Nice board, I also like the extra stuff that comes with it. The OC Palm is pretty much an improved LCD Poster.

But I still won't be getting an i7 or X58 board soon :mrgreen:

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, I think the Foxconn 4-in-1 cooler is much better. But I guess you can always replace the stock heatsink with something better.

7. Adrian Wong

Yeah, we just received confirmation on the launch date. It will be November 16-17, depending on how you look at it. Check out the details here - Tech ARP - ED#102 : The Intel Core i7 Processor & Intel X58 Express Chipset Are Ready For Launch Rev. 1.1

But AFAIK, there will be ready stocks of the CPU and motherboards. Not all manufacturers will be ready though.

8. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

True but when shelling out that kind of cash for an enthusiast motherboard one would expect more foresight from the manufacturer.

Another problem is the fact that finding the right NB heatsink taking into account the unique layout and attached expansion cards etc is a real pain.

It wouldn't be too hard for asus to have included tools for mounting/replacing an small active cooler on the NB and it would make lots of moderate enthusiasts happy.

Of course the extreme enthusiasts will tear everything off and water cool it but the majority will be using air cooling so I'm surprised Asus still hasn't learned from past mistakes.

The main issue right now is the lack of an in-depth report on the Nehalem VDimm issue. There's lots of articles about it but they all seem to be dancing around the topic instead of addressing it directly. :think:

9. Adrian Wong

You mean the 1.65V voltage limit?

10. jaymonds

jaymonds Banned

I am using asus motherboard and working great, will like to get its new tech.

11. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

ASUS P6T Deluxe X58 Express Motherboard (OC Palm Edition) Review Rev. 1.1

We have just updated the review! :wave:

The early readiness of the ASUS P6T Deluxe X58 Express motherboard is proof of ASUS' technical prowess. ASUS already has full retail units of this motherboard ready for sale more than a month before the actual launch of the Intel X58 Express chipset and the Intel Core i7 processor. It is a certainty that the ASUS P6T Deluxe will be one of the few motherboards available for sale on launch date.

However, the P6T Deluxe does not look like a rushed job. As it is a pioneer motherboard for a new platform, it is obvious that ASUS went all out to make this motherboard the best one they could design. If they want to make a mark on launch date, they had better deliver their best work and it shows in the P6T Deluxe.

Here's the latest update in Revision 1.1 :-
    [​IMG]

Link : ASUS P6T Deluxe X58 Express Motherboard (OC Palm Edition) Review Rev. 1.1

12. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

1.6v is the max, and is very high for a 45nm made silicon. but you can go higher if you want to. there is an option in the bios.

but i don't think this will be an issue. first, triple channel, there is about 32gb/s of bandwidth if you run them at 1333. Good enough. i don't know any desktop app that needs that much of memory bandwidth. it's gonna be Core 2 Duo all over again. going from 1066 to 1333 is like 667 to 800 on Core 2 platform. Triple channel is a server design. i7's mem design is so good, no one has to worry about memory.

13. trueg50

trueg50 Newbie

I definitely cannot wait for the full reviews of i7.

QPT, HT, integrated memory controller, and so many other cool server performance increasing design changes is going to make this a very exciting release.

I anxiously awate the Tech Arp review of the board and chip pair.

14. SkyLegendz

SkyLegendz Newbie

Me neither, I can't wait for all of the benchmarks on all of the x58s boards. They all look like they can be insanely fast. :D

15. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

a bummer, i know. but oh well, the performance of every X58 and future boards will be identical. the memory controller has been shifted on die, leaving nothing else to the chipset. The x58 is merely an I/O hub. heck, it's cheaper than the X48! this is a first from Intel!

16. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

X58 boards will still differ in memory support, overclocking and expansion slots.
    BTW: ZuePhok your sig pic always makes me laugh.

17. Nice review, thanks :D

18. SkyLegendz

SkyLegendz Newbie

My question is how much this change in hardware will affect on previous components. I mean, how will games and computing change :o?

19. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie