ED#108 : NVIDIA GeForce & Fallout 3

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

While testing Fallout 3 for use in our NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 review, it kept crashing over and over again. We just could not complete a single test run properly. Sometimes, Fallout 3 would crash on loading the game, or when we encounter a character. Most often though, it would crash when V.A.T.S. mode is activated.

We tried a variety of "fixes" because Fallout 3 has been known to be a little buggy. We also reinstalled DirectX 10, in case it was killed by DirectX 9. Still no go. Guess who was the real culprit?

[​IMG]

Link : ED#108 : NVIDIA GeForce & Fallout 3

2. avatar12m

ever since i upgraded to my nvidia 295 i have had nothing but problems, all driver versions even the 185.20's do not work.

the only way i can get fallout 3 (and 99% of other games) to not crash is in nvidia control panel 3d setting, set multi GPU and physics to disable and do not use sli.

most games will force a total pc lock if ran in a window (anything other than full screen mode )

hope they sort out the Global problem, my 2 ati 4870 cards never suffered from this problem so its deffo a driver issue.

3. Adrian Wong

There's no Release 185 driver. The latest driver from NVIDIA is the 181.22 WHQL driver - GeForce Release 181

The first driver to officially support the GTX 295 is 181.20. All previous drivers will not install properly. Check the driver version you are using, or uninstall your present driver completely and install the latest 181.22 driver.

4. avatar12m

yeah thats what i thought but it is out there its still beta and not certified, but it seems the most stable of them all.

had fallout 3 working 45-60 fps with vsync forced on for approx 2hrs (sli and physx disabled) , all other drivers would crash after approx 2-5 mins.

i have searched endlessly for solutions but they all return with the same result 10% of people getting no crash and the other 90% still stuck with crashes in all 3d games.

guess we will have to wait until a few more driver releases before its fixed

heres a link please delete it if i'm not allowed to post links

h*ttp://laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22523]v185.20 Vista 64bit | NVIDIA - nVision

5. Adrian Wong

I wouldn't trust those drivers. The LATEST Beta driver from NVIDIA is just 182.05 - GeForce Release 182

It does not seem like there will be any Release 185 driver for some months ahead. As a reviewer, even I have not seen any 185.xx driver yet.

Why are you using drivers modded for laptops anyway? You do not need to use such modded drivers.

Desktop users should always download the latest driver from NVIDIA Driver Downloads - Advanced Search

6. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

ED#108 : NVIDIA GeForce & Fallout 3 Rev. 2.0

We have just updated the editorial! :wave:

While testing Fallout 3 for use in our NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 review, it kept crashing over and over again. We just could not complete a single test run properly. Sometimes, Fallout 3 would crash on loading the game, or when we encounter a character. Most often though, it would crash when V.A.T.S. mode is activated.

We tried a variety of "fixes" because Fallout 3 has been known to be a little buggy. We also reinstalled DirectX 10, in case it was killed by DirectX 9. Still no go. Guess who was the real culprit?

[​IMG]

Link : ED#108 : NVIDIA GeForce & Fallout 3 Rev. 2.0