NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 Technology Report

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

When we were recently invited to one of NVIDIA's many conference calls, we were quite excited. After the shocking mauling by ATI's Radeon HD 4870 and its ilk, we expected NVIDIA to strike back with a new GPU or two. Something along the lines of the Empire Strikes Back, perhaps?

However, that hope was quickly dashed. The big announcement (with NDA and all) was nothing more than a rebranding exercise, and it was a weak one at that. If this is the best response NVIDIA can come up with, then 2009 is going to be a really painful year for them.

Don't believe us? Well, see for yourselves.

[​IMG]

Link : NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 Technology Report

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yeah. Silly NVIDIA. They must really be feeling the pinch between ATI pulling a fast one and their alleged massive midrange and mobile card failures if they have to rebrand a 9800GTX+ (the 512MB at least).

At least they kinda bothered to make the vendors use a new pcb for the 1GB models instead of making that revision optional for the 512MB. That probably shows that there is a lot of stock of 9800GTX+/GTS250 512MB in the channel... :o

3. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

I just got my GTS 250 last night (2 days delay).

And I'd like to contribute my findings to too! :D

[​IMG]

I confirm that the performance is that of a 9800GTX+.

Thank you.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I came to the same conclusion without even testing it. :haha: :haha:

It's just a slightly improved GeForce 9800 GTX+, so its performance should be no different.

But NVIDIA is obviously hoping a name change will make the GeForce GTS 250 more enticing. The rebranding makes the card sound like the latest generation, instead of being a slight upgrade of the "old" GeForce 9800 GTX.

5. goldfries

i think most of us came to that conclusion earlier. :D benchies are just evidence to support the conclusion. :thumb:

the GTS 250 does consume less power than the 9800GTX+ (55nm version). That's the good part.

and from this, i wonder how's the effect on 9800GTX+ pricing.

6. Adrian Wong

You mean second-hand units? The new pricing effectively drops the price on all 9800 GTX+ units by at least 20 bucks.

7. goldfries

referring to new units. :)

i'm sure there's plenty of 9800GTX+ in stock. so with the introduction of the new name, i think a lot of people are going into a loss.

8. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Ooh, that GTS 250 looks like another copy of the 9800GTX+ according to the benchmarks? How could nVidia have relabelled that? Strange... :shifty:

Also, will a 4850 be identical to a 9800GTX+ in terms of performance? :)

9. goldfries

not identical with HD4850 but they perform similarly.

btw how is it strange when nVidia has been doing it for the past few cards?

this is nothing new, just adds to their shame.

10. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Indeed. Some G92 cards are 8800GT/GTS 512, 9800GT, 9800GTX/+, and now GTS 250. Same GPU across 3 generations FTL! :mad:

11. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Seriously, is there anything else that they can do differently apart from rebranding and cutting down the $? These days it's all about how many core you can cramp in, and how fast you can run them. This is what unified shader architecture is for i guess. NV can't possibly produce something that's faster than GTX260 and sell it at 150USD price point. if they did that they would be screwing up with themselves, so the best they could do is this..a rebadged 9800gtx+. We need a stronger ATI.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  12. Adrian Wong

Yeah, it's just more than a little confusing. I guess it's their way of "spreading" a generation of technology over three generations of graphics cards! :D

13. Adrian Wong

Granted, but they could have redesignated the original 192 SP GTX 260 as the new GTS 250... or maybe cut it down to 180 SP or something.

The thing is the G92 used to be part of the 8800 series, then NVIDIA bumped it up to the 9800 series... and now it's part of the GTS 200 series.

14. goldfries

on the other hand, the 8800 series (8800GS included) had 2 different cores. :) G80 and G92.

then 8800GS being 9600GT, meaning the 9600 series covers 2 cores as well. G92 for 9600GSO and G94 for 9600GT.

15. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I bought 8800GTS 512MB and I never feel mine is outdated after 3 'generations'. :haha: Good for me! :thumb:

16. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

like i said, it doesn't really matter whether the G92 belongs to 8800 or 9800 because 8800/9800/200gtx all features unified shader architecture.

They could do it, but then it wouldn't cost 150 dollar, and its power characteristic just doesn't fit the current mainstream standard. But most importantly, why would NV do it? there is no threat coming from ATI as of now.

17. Adrian Wong

Maybe not. But the point is it is just a change in name. Why bother creating a new SKU if the card already exists as the 9800 GTX+?

Frankly, I don't see the "need" for a rebrand, but looking from NVIDIA's POV, I can see the benefit - it refreshes the 9800 GTX+ model for virtually no cost or development time.

18. Chai

For a former high end card to mid range card, and most people are not educated enough to know they are actually rebranded cards, not like a car which is visible.

19. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

it took ati almost three cycles to catch up with NV.

so, the 4800 series finally arrived in 2h08. 4850 is on par with G92, and the 4870 is in the class of GT200. judging from the performance POV, they are late as they do not surpass NV's offerings (though SRP, power requirement are lower) but everyone is happy. the GPU business is a funny business. perhaps NV should throw in some cool terms like "small die strategy", "asset lite movement" to win some hearts back :lol:

20. Chai

Sometimes you don't always need raw performance to win the crowd. Price was the most important factor, especially in this economy.

If it wasn't for them, do you think you can buy GT260/280 at the price they are selling now?