Intel Buys Over NVIDIA

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

The inevitable has finally happened. NVIDIA will soon be part of the behemoth that is Intel. The ink is still wet and there is still much to work out before NVIDIA becomes part of Intel, but it is a done deal according to an inside source.

It was a remarkably rapid reversal of fortunes for NVIDIA. With several key design successes, NVIDIA rapidly went from an obscure company to arguably the leading 3D graphics processor company in the world. Right before their fall from grace, the company boasted a retail market share of over 80%. For a long while, it appeared that they could do no wrong.

In fact, the company was so supremely confident of their success that they even took on CPU behemoth, Intel. Their company president and CEO, Huang Jen-Hsun, openly belittled Intel's upcoming Larrabee processor, claiming that it was nothing more than "a PowerPoint slide". Ironically, it is Intel and the Larrabee processor that will be NVIDIA's salvation.

[​IMG]

Link : Intel Buys Over NVIDIA

2. ssj4Gogeta

ssj4Gogeta Newbie

Maybe you're right, but I'd like some clarifications - you said Intel's Larrabee will need a new version of DX to work with. That's entirely wrong. This where the capabilities of Larrabee come in - it can work with ANY version of DirectX. It's a completely general purpose architecture. That means, that it can handle any kind of computation, unlike current GPU's, which can handle only certain kinds of computations, for which they were designed. (That's why you need to buy a new graphics card for a new DirectX version.). Intel's Larrabee will run DirectX in software. That is, it will simulate a DirectX pipeline. Since it's general purpose, it can work with all the current AND future versions of DirectX.

Secondly, you said that the engineers working on the Larrabee project will lose their jobs. That's not right. Nvidia doesn't know anything about and doesn't have experience in building x86 general purpose cores. And since a general purpose graphics core is what's the target of Intel, I don't think Larrabee engineers will lose their job.

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i can only laugh. LOL

4. ssj4Gogeta

ssj4Gogeta Newbie

erm... 1st April, isn't it? :oops:

5. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Welcome to TechARP...:lol:

6. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Dammit, I forgot :doh:

7. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

happy april fool!`

8. ssj4Gogeta

ssj4Gogeta Newbie

Thanks

you people got me there LOL. Then I wondered why isn't there any news about this on INQUIRER or other sites. I thought TechARP is the first one to publish news many times, so may be... But then read zy's comment and got it all. :oops:

9. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hehe.. BTW, we were referring to Intel's engineers who are responsible for coming up with graphics "decelerators" like the GMA integrated graphics for their chipsets. :)

10. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

dont worry, i almost got fooled by this article. till i notized the date and author. lol