ED#113 : Microsoft Windows 7 Black Screen Of Death!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Amidst the many favourable reports of Windows 7 beta, many techies were eager to upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7. After all, those who tested it were enthusiastic enough to label it as "the operating system Windows Vista was meant to be".

However, it appears that even experienced techies can expect to hit some road bumps on their way to installing Windows 7. Let's see what some of our techies experienced...

[​IMG]

Link : ED#113 : Microsoft Windows 7 Black Screen Of Death!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I can chime in later. I have 3 more deployments to do (need to save up and buy hardware for my new PC first LOL!). First one I had trouble getting Windows 7 to select the hard drive to install (kept saying couldn't boot from drive and I should check in BIOS to set that device can be bootable - It's a freaking HDD!).

My first "real" install of Windows 7 (Non Beta) was a breeze though. But that's coz the home team does a good job haha (even had a profile ready for my work laptop). So that doesn't really count... :p

3. Adrian Wong

Okay! E-mail me and I will add it in. :thumb:

4. marauderz

marauderz Newbie

Chai's display card / monitor mismatch issue was definetly interesting.

Goldfries one could be related to the problem my brother was having. He had multiple installations of Windows XP sitting around the 4 hard disks he had attached to the system. Windows setup had a heck of a time trying to figure out which was actually the boot drive. But once he disconnected all the other drives, it installed properly.

As for PsyChotix issue, what kind of drive was it? Basically that's just a warning to tell you that Windows can't determine if your computer can boot directly into the drive, but if you're sure it'll work you can just go ahead. This message happens all the time when I'm installing to a VHD file.

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

It was straight up boot from Win 7 DVD to a SATA drive connected to an Intel chipset (a pretty "standard" hardware setup). The drive contained Windows Vista and I just formatted it (clean install) and was going to install from it right after. 3 restarts later it just worked like nothing happened.

6. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Maybe hard disk failure :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :liar:

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Haha no. It did not go in the ways of ur friend's laptop hdd...

8. Adrian Wong

How did it go so far, Psy?

9. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Interestingly, I've zero problems at all with 5 native Win7 installations on (3 Notebooks + 2 Desktop) and 1 VHD Win7 installation on another notebook, so total of 6 installations so far.
    All of them was installed in a breeze none taking any longer than an hour to be completely usable.

My desktop is on dual monitor too, although its the same model. As for the age of my machines? well, can't say all of them are brand new. the latest ones are at least 1 year old too.

In fact, if you'd asked me, I'd think that M$ has actually gotten it right this time.

10. Adrian Wong

I had no problem installing it into Jenny's netbook either.

With that said, the netbook should be a piece of cake as the hardware is neither new nor exotic.

From what I have seen so far, it appears to due to the ATI graphics driver that shipped with Windows 7, rather than Windows 7 itself.

Now, if only I can find a way to uninstall some of the stuff in Windows 7 Starter. It takes up over 7GB of storage space!

11. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

This is the only time I feel that MS has gotten wrong for me. :haha: Never have problem with installing Windows until now.

12. Adrian Wong

ED#113 : Microsoft Windows 7 Black Screen Of Death! Rev. 2.0

Amidst the many favourable reports of Windows 7 beta, many techies were eager to upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7. After all, those who tested it were enthusiastic enough to label it as "the operating system Windows Vista was meant to be".

However, it appears that even experienced techies can expect to hit some road bumps on their way to installing Windows 7. Let's see what some of our techies experienced...

In this revision, we updated the article and added three solutions for the black screen of death.

[​IMG]

Link : ED#113 : Microsoft Windows 7 Black Screen Of Death! Rev. 2.0

13. Adrian Wong

ED#113 : Microsoft Windows 7 Black Screen Of Death! Rev. 2.1

In this revision, we updated the solutions and added more details on ATIKMDAG.SYS.

[​IMG]

Link : ED#113 : Microsoft Windows 7 Black Screen Of Death! Rev. 2.1