Intel X25-M G2 (34 nm) 160 GB Solid State Drive Review

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

The Intel Mainstream series of 2.5" SSDs feature a native SATA interface with support for Native Command Queueing (up to 32 concurrent operations ), and an advanced architecture that employs 10 parallel NAND flash channels to deliver very fast transfer rates while utilizing multi-level cell NAND flash memory to reduce cost and increase storage capacity. To improve reliability, these mainstream SSDs use a proprietary write-leveling algorithm to spread the writes over the entire drive.

There are actually two variants of the X25-M mainstream SSD - the first-generation X25-M which is based on 50 nm NAND flash memory, and the second-generation X25-M based on 34 nm NAND flash memory. Today, we will be taking a look at the second-generation X25-M mainstream SSD, one with a storage capacity of 160 GB.

[​IMG]

Link : Intel X25-M G2 (34 nm) 160 GB Solid State Drive Review

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

My dream gadget! Waiting for G3!!! Like most of the other SSDs, the 512KB write is surprisingly slow. Can you retest the Super Talent drive again just to confirm? :p

3. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

would like to swap the hdd of my DB server with this. Risky?

4. Chai

Definitely not recommended. A DB server uses a lot of both read and write access. For a web server, it makes a bit more sense.

5. Adrian Wong

I redid the Super Talent tests a few time. Did the same for the Intel SSDs too. No idea but it always happens for the Intel X25-M, but not the Super Talent. :(

6. Adrian Wong

This drive is rated for 5 years only if writes are limited to 20 GB per day or less. The DB server should use up a lot more than that, but it all depends, I guess.

7. Chai

More like why is it happening to all other SSDs except Super Talent.

I thought all SSDs are rated for 3 years warranty?

8. Adrian Wong

No, not all drives are affected similarly. Some are affected in all random writes (large or small), some only for large, random writes.

If I remember correctly, yes, the Intel X25-M G2 has a 3-year warranty. But they rated the drive to last 5 years if writes are limited to 20 GB/day. Basically, the X25-M G2 is rated for at least 36,500 GB of writes.

Not a lot of writes, if you think about it.

9. Chai

I won't be worried to run it as a boot drive, even with virtual memory on it. Most of my hard drive don't even 'last' 3 years. :lol:

10. Adrian Wong

Seriously?? Hahaha.. What do you do with your hard disk drives??? :haha:

11. Chai

As backups? haha... Many of my older hard drives are not in used anymore, like the WD740.

12. Adrian Wong

Oh, I thought you meant they died or something! :haha:

13. graysky

graysky ARP Reviewer

Nice review as usual. I just ordered the 80 gig version of this drive and began reading up on partition alignment. Seems to be several camps out there and I'm Just wondering if anyone in here has any experience running this drive under Linux?

All the info I collected to date I put into the SSD article on the Arch Linux wiki.

Advice is appreciated and hey, if you see something wrong in the wiki, let me know or just correct it yourself :)

14. Adrian Wong

Sorry, I don't use Linux. :(