ED#123 : Yet Another Anti-Piracy Update For Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Microsoft has been quietly slipping in WGA-like checks like KB971033 amongst the many updates in Windows Update. However, these initial anti-piracy checks are voluntary in basis. In fact, they even unchecked it by default. You can even "disable it" permanently by hiding the update.

Even so, it was only a matter of time before Microsoft makes one of these anti-piracy updates mandatory. Normally, a mandatory anti-piracy check would be introduced when a service pack is scheduled to appear. You will need to submit to this anti-piracy check and pass it before you are allowed to install the service pack and gain access to future updates.

We think that Microsoft has just introduced a mandatory anti-piracy update - KB976902.

[​IMG]

Link : ED#123 : Yet Another Anti-Piracy Update For Windows 7?

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Hmm...weird, I didn't get this update.

3. Adrian Wong

Try refreshing Windows Update. Either that or you already installed it.

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I couldn't find it in the installed update also. But honestly, you can run away from it forever. It will get installed once SP1 is applied.

5. Adrian Wong

Exactly! It's a sooner or later matter.

Even if it's not KB976902, it's inevitable - Microsoft will definitely issue a mandatory anti-piracy check for anyone installing SP1.

6. Adrian Wong

ED#123 : Yet Another Anti-Piracy Update For Windows 7? Rev. 2.0

Microsoft has been quietly slipping in WGA-like checks like KB971033 amongst the many updates in Windows Update. However, these initial anti-piracy checks are voluntary in basis. In fact, they even unchecked it by default. You can even "disable it" permanently by hiding the update.

Even so, it was only a matter of time before Microsoft makes one of these anti-piracy updates mandatory. Normally, a mandatory anti-piracy check would be introduced when a service pack is scheduled to appear. You will need to submit to this anti-piracy check and pass it before you are allowed to install the service pack and gain access to future updates.

We think that Microsoft has just introduced a mandatory anti-piracy update - KB976902.

We just posted an update on the status of the KB976902 black hole update. The case gets odder and odder!

[​IMG]

Link : ED#123 : Yet Another Anti-Piracy Update For Windows 7? Rev. 2.0

7. Adrian Wong

ED#123 : Yet Another Anti-Piracy Update For Windows 7? Rev. 3.0

The infamous KB976902 Black Hole Update is back!

We were checking our updates recently and found that KB976902 is back! We have no idea why Microsoft pulled it off the web almost immediately after they released it, or why the Knowledge Base page on the update was not available, but we do know now what the update does. Check it out!

[​IMG]

Link : ED#123 : Yet Another Anti-Piracy Update For Windows 7? Rev. 3.0

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  8. JTech

JTech Newbie

I guess I should turn on my Win7 machine at some point and get this update.

9. Adrian Wong

It's not a required update right now, but yeah, it's just a matter of time. Microsoft will probably make it mandatory when Windows 7 SP1 is released.

10. k44k

k44k Newbie

I just saw this update but it was unchecked & I turn it off.

11. Adrian Wong

Yup, it's unchecked by default. It isn't necessary right now.