Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1 TB Portable (USB 3.0) Hard Disk Drive Review

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

In the Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex family, you can opt for the Seagate GoFlex Desk 3.5" external drive if you want the large storage capacity possible and do not mind a larger form factor. If you prefer a portable drive, then you can go with either the Seagate GoFlex or Seagate GoFlex Pro 2.5" external drives. The difference between the two is that the Pro version has a dock and comes with premium backup and encryption software.

Today, we will be looking at the Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1 TB portable USB 3.0 hard disk drive. It boasts the following features :

- Upgradable to faster USB 3.0, FireWire or eSATA interfaces.
    - Upgradable with a continuous, automatic backup kit.
    - Able to share files by pairing it with the Seagate GoFlex Net media sharing device.
    - Docks directly into the Seagate GoFlex TV HD media player.
    - Option to purchase only the drive (without the cable).

Now, let's take a look and see how this portable hard disk drive fares against the competition!

[​IMG]

Link : Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1 TB Portable (USB 3.0) Hard Disk Drive Review

2. ET3D

ET3D Newbie

Thanks for the review. I was just wondering the other day whether there's a 1TB portable drive that doesn't require a dedicated power supply, and this looks like it could fit the bill. I'm now tempted to buy it.

3. Adrian Wong

Wait for our 1.5 TB Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex review which is coming up soon. See if that better fits your bill.

IMHO, 3.5" external HDDs will probably go the way of DVD writers. If given a choice, most people will opt for 2.5" external drives. Not only are they smaller, cooler and lighter, they don't require a power supply and are therefore must handier to use and travel with.

4. ET3D

ET3D Newbie

I'll probably go for the LaCie Rikiki 1TB. It's considerably cheaper here than the other 2.5" 1TB drives, supports USB 3.0 out of the box and I already have the 500GB version which I've been using for a few months now without problem.

Though I probably won't buy it immediately anyway.

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Yup, I have a 500gb external that I have not power on in months :nuts:

6. Adrian Wong

LOL! I have a 1 TB unit that I only power on to make backups. Probably turn it on less than 10 times a year!

On the other hand, I use my 2.5" external drives very often.

7. ET3D

ET3D Newbie

My 1TB 3.5" is always on and hooked to my PC. It's used for regular backups and to store lots of stuff that my PC doesn't have enough space to store (such as games I don't regularly play and videos).

8. Adrian Wong

How long have you been using it?