The Android Web Browser Round-Up

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Android might not have the huge line-up of games and apps that iOS boasts but ever since Eclair (Android 2.0/2.1) came along, Android has been slowly overtaking iOS as the smartphone platform with the best Internet browsing experience. It boasts a fast loading speed, smooth scrolling and most importantly, support for Flash!

Some may argue that Flash is useless and slow, but the fact remains - many websites still require Flash support for basic navigation, even though both Android and iOS support HTML5. Nothing beats the convenience of playing back video directly on the browser.

The Android's stock browser is no slouch, but there's always room for improvement. Fortunately, Android is an "open" platform, so there are tons of alternative browsers out there. There is no one perfect choice, however. It all depends on your personal preference, especially when it comes to the features they offer. In this round-up, we will take a look at the following web browser for the Android platform...

[​IMG]

Link : The Android Web Browser Round-Up

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Opera Mobile, Opera Mini, Dolphin HD have new versions already! They are really quick with updates!

3. ET3D

ET3D Newbie

Thanks for the review. I've been using Opera, and tried Dolphin Mini as a result of this review, but it felt sluggish and I missed Opera's full page view.

By the way, I think it's cool that you're using a Windows Mobile 6.5 phone to run Android.

4. Chai

Hmm...It is possible to enable fullscreen mode on Dolphin Mini. But you are right. Once you have tested Opera Mobile, everything else is slow. Which is why Opera Mobile is my fulltime browser now.

5. ET3D

ET3D Newbie

What I meant by full page view is that when Opera loads a page it automatically zooms out to display its width. I find it a good orientation tool. Not a big deal, really. I can always zoom out.

6. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

nice roundup chai! i'm using skyfire here as I prefer the stock android engine. Must give opera a try!

can i request for a keyboard comparison ah? hahahaha..

7. Chai

I actually prefer auto zoom in because you will have to zoom in to read anyway. You can set the default zoom to far, but still not a full page view.

8. Chai

Hmm... a bit hard, because I can't install the Samsung or HTC's native version. I will see if it is possible.