ED#138 : Slow Menus In Adobe Photoshop CS6

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Those who have tried Adobe's Photoshop CS6 beta or the recently-released final version may come across a really odd problem - very unresponsive menus.

These symptoms will only occur when there's an open file, and it seems to only affect notebooks with switchable graphics (Intel HD Graphics paired with an AMD or NVIDIA graphics card). Perhaps that's the reason why there has been so little noise about this problem online.

We think we figured out what was causing this problem...

[​IMG]

Link : ED#138 : Slow Menus In Adobe Photoshop CS6

2. Adrian Wong

ED#138 : Slow Menus In Adobe Photoshop CS6 Rev. 2.0

Those who have tried Adobe's Photoshop CS6 beta or the recently-released final version may come across a really odd problem - very unresponsive menus.

These symptoms will only occur when there's an open file, and it seems to only affect notebooks with switchable graphics (Intel HD Graphics paired with an AMD or NVIDIA graphics card). Perhaps that's the reason why there has been so little noise about this problem online.

In this update, we added our experience upgrading the Intel HD Graphics driver, and the effect it had on this problem.

[​IMG]

Link : ED#138 : Slow Menus In Adobe Photoshop CS6 Rev. 2.0

3. Adrian Wong

ED#138 : Slow Menus In Adobe Photoshop CS6 Rev. 3.0

These symptoms will only occur when there's an open file, and it seems to only affect the new Intel Ivy Bridge notebooks with switchable graphics (Intel HD Graphics 4000 paired with an AMD or NVIDIA graphics card). Perhaps that's the reason why there has been so little noise about this problem online.

In this update, we detailed the final, confirmed fix for the slow menu display problem in Adobe Photoshop CS6 with Graphics Processor enabled.

[​IMG]

Link : ED#138 : Slow Menus In Adobe Photoshop CS6 Rev. 3.0

4. tonyleedsuk

tonyleedsuk Newbie

Similar issue in Bridge CS6 in Windows 8.1

Since installing Windows 8.1 I have all the problems you describe but only in Bridge CS6 - no issues in Photoshop. Extremely slow menus, and right clicks take 12 seconds to display the menu. Everything was fine in Windows 8.
    I have just updated my Nvidia graphics driver and it's made no difference. Reset all Bridge preferences and purged all cash but again, no difference.

5. Adrian Wong

Is that the only graphics card in your system? I'm just asking because many notebooks or PCs now come with an Intel or AMD graphics chip integrated into the processor.

If your processor has a built-in GPU, you should update its driver too.

6. tonyleedsuk

tonyleedsuk Newbie

Thanks - but I solved the problem last night.

I always use Windows 8 (and now 8.1) in desktop mode but accidentally switched into tile mode while I was shutting down.

While I was there I opened Bridge and everything was perfect again. It's now working perfectly directly from desktop mode too.

Strange but true!

7. Adrian Wong

That's really weird! :think:

But I'm glad you solved it. When I upgrade to Windows 8.1, I will be sure to look out for it.

Thanks for the feedback! :thumb: