Kingston MobileLite G3 USB 3.0 Card Reader Review

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

For those who prefer the convenience and speed of a separate card reader, Kingston Technology offers a variety of USB-based card readers. They are generally divided into two types - full-fledged media readers that support a wide variety of card types, and a more compact card reader that supports a limited number of card formats.

Today, we are going to take a look at their latest USB 3.0 card reader - the Kingston MobileLite G3. Unlike full-sized media readers, the MobileLite G3 is an ultra-portable card reader that's not only fast, but can also fit tight pockets. Let's check it out!

[​IMG]

Link : Kingston MobileLite G3 USB 3.0 Card Reader Review

2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Interesting... but unless you have a card that's faster than USB 2.0, not sure how useful the USB 3 support is. However, I do like the sliding action of the USB connector. Sure beats having to always find my USB cable to connect to my current card reader. :)

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Only support SD? Memory Stick is not relevant anymore. Then why do I need a USB3? I have not seen any SD card that is faster than USB2.

4. Adrian Wong

Yeah, it only supports SD formats, which is a shame.. hehe.. Hehe.. The Memory Stick PRO support is just a bonus. Since it's supported by the controller and the interface, they might as well just throw it in there.

Well, the newer UHS-I class SD cards would benefit, but for most of us, it's just future-proofing at the moment.

5. Chai

You may want to do a benchmark on these readers. Not many readers can reach even the max of USB2 speed.

6. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

I've a couple of UHS-1 cards but don't have a USB 3 port. LOL! Might look for a Firewire 800 card reader to get the speed I need.

I'd be happy if I can even find a USB2 card reader that can actually reach the upper limits of the specs.

7. Chai

Yup, exactly.

I have Sandisk Imagemate which is pretty fast, up to 25MB+ for some cards.

8. Adrian Wong

Unfortunately, I do not have any UHS-1 cards yet. Ken, wanna spare me some of your UHS-1 cards??? :wicked: :wicked:

9. Adrian Wong

Kingston MobileLite G3 USB 3.0 Card Reader Review Rev. 2.0

For those who prefer the convenience and speed of a separate card reader, Kingston Technology offers a variety of USB-based card readers. They are generally divided into two types - full-fledged media readers that support a wide variety of card types, and a more compact card reader that supports a limited number of card formats.

Today, we are going to take a look at their latest USB 3.0 card reader - the Kingston MobileLite G3. Unlike full-sized media readers, the MobileLite G3 is an ultra-portable card reader that's not only fast, but can also fit tight pockets. Let's check it out!

In this update, we added a Size Comparison section, as well as photos showing the MobileLite G3 in a more compact form. We also made various minor changes.

[​IMG]

Link : Kingston MobileLite G3 USB 3.0 Card Reader Review Rev. 2.0