Western Digital VelociRaptor (WD1000DHTZ) 1 TB Hard Disk Drive Review

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Western Digital recently launched their third-generation VelociRaptor hard disk drive, which continues to be the world's only 10,000 RPM hard disk drive with a SATA interface. The third-generation VelociRaptor improved on its predecessor by using Advanced Format Technology (AFT) and higher-density platters to deliver not only 1 TB of storage capacity but also a sustained throughput of 200 MB/s. Take a look at its key features :

We did a short analysis of the drive earlier, but we are now able to produce a full review, after extensively testing this drive. Let's take a closer look!

[​IMG]

Link : Western Digital VelociRaptor (WD1000DHTZ) 1 TB Hard Disk Drive Review

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I'm not sure if you should put in at least 1 SSD results for comparison. I know it is unfair to the rest of the HDDs, but it is one of the popular upgrades for many people.

3. Adrian Wong

I thought of it, but decided to actually come up with a separate comparison. Most likely the two VelociRaptors vs. the Intel 520 SSD? What do you think?

4. Chai

2 identical 1TB Velociraptor? It makes the comparison fairer and it will be an interesting comparison. But it is not a common setup for most.

5. Adrian Wong

Oh, no, I mean the 1 TB VelociRaptor and the 600 GB VelociRaptor vs. the Intel 520 series SSD. Actually am already working on it. Hope to get it done by Monday. I'm adding the Intel X-25M G2 as well. So two VelociRaptors vs. two SSDs.

6. Chai

If you have decided to split it up, then you should include more SSDs into the roundup.

7. Adrian Wong

Ahhh.. just finished it actually. Hmm.. Yeah, I probably should. The Intel SSDs rather trashed the VelociRaptors.