ED#142 : Why Apple Maps-gate Could Have Been Avoided (Or Not)

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

The furore over the new Apple Maps doesn't seem to be abating anytime soon. Every day, there are new articles on how the new Apple Maps has just directed someone to walk into a river, or converted the mighty Derwent River in Hobarts, Australia into a lake... This may seem like your typical fare from Apple detractors, but the fact of the matter is most of these people who are complaining are... Apple users!

At the same time, there is a constant slew of articles or commentaries defending Apple Maps as anything from "a good start" to "no one gets it right the first time". They may be right, or they may just be die-hard Apple fanatics. But it doesn't seem like the tit-for-tat is going to end anytime soon.

Even here in Tech ARP, we have different opinions on Apple Maps and how well they handled the aftermath. Let's take a look...

[​IMG]

Link : ED#142 : Why Apple Maps-gate Could Have Been Avoided (Or Not)

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

This issue is definitely overblown.

To be fair, even Google Navigation does not work on Android devices for many countries like Malaysia, unless you hack it. All you get is "Navigation is not supported in your area". Even then, I don't believe the navigation is reliable enough.

Nothing beats a good old GPS software like Garmin. When are you going to release it on Android???!!!

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

I got lost in Boston with Android Google Maps before. No results turned up when I search for it. Nothing appears.

It couldn't search a address that is valid :lol:

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Google Navigation has always worked reliably on my Nexus phones (S and Galaxy Nexus). Love street view. Picks up new/obscure addresses that my in car GPS doesn't. I'm looking forward to the new car's Google Maps integrated navigation.

5. Adrian Wong

Not sure about Android but Google Maps works well on my iPhone.

In fact, when it comes to routing, it actually does a better job than my Garmin, and what I like about it is that it gives you a choice of routes, if there are alternate routes. I've had my Garmin take me on an more tedious route (through traffic and intersections) merely because it's closer by a few hundred meters or maybe a kilometer or two. If it can show me alternate routes to select, that would really help a lot.

Anyway, the most important thing before navigation is possible is that the target location must be properly identified! If the GPS app cannot find your target location, then any other useful feature like turn-by-turn navigation is worthless.

6. Chai

I'm actually referring to Google's Navigation (turn-by-turn). You mean yours have turn-by-turn navigation??? But even if it has, I wouldn't trust it, because of the lack of POI, and the one way street, U-turn are far too inaccurate.

Actually Garmin allows you to choose alternate route, but it is not as simple as Google's. I feel like getting a standalone Garmine GPS simply because of the Malfreemaps. And now with the AES speed camera, Malfreemaps is going to matter even more. Time to look for a cheap Garmin, or maybe I can use my old Windows Mobile phone as GPS. :mrgreen:

7. Adrian Wong

In iOS, Google Maps does not have turn-by-turn navigation, which is one of the reasons why Apple decided to go with their own maps app. The new Apple Maps features turn-by-turn navigation but with the current list of inaccurate POIs, that feature is rather pointless.

Look at the updated article, where I posted two new examples. If you use Apple Maps to get to IKEA, you will end up at the IKEA warehouse in Shah Alam! To get to the actual IKEA store, you have to search for Mines Wonderland! LOL! :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

8. Adrian Wong

ED#142 : Why Apple Maps-gate Could Have Been Avoided (Or Not) Rev. 2.0

The furore over the new Apple Maps doesn't seem to be abating anytime soon. Every day, there are new articles on how the new Apple Maps has just directed someone to walk into a river, or converted the mighty Derwent River in Hobarts, Australia into a lake... This may seem like your typical fare from Apple detractors, but the fact of the matter is most of these people who are complaining are... Apple users!

At the same time, there is a constant slew of articles or commentaries defending Apple Maps as anything from "a good start" to "no one gets it right the first time". They may be right, or they may just be die-hard Apple fanatics. But it doesn't seem like the tit-for-tat is going to end anytime soon.

Even here in Tech ARP, we have different opinions on Apple Maps and how well they handled the aftermath. Let's take a look...

In this update, we added Apple CEO Tim Cook's open letter, as well as two new map examples showing what it takes to get to the IKEA store. Hilarious!

[​IMG]

Link : ED#142 : Why Apple Maps-gate Could Have Been Avoided (Or Not) Rev. 2.0

9. Chai

Trust me, even if Google Map has turn by turn navigation, you wouldn't want to use it. I have used normal Google Map to navigate around KL, and it sucks. I really don't blame Apple for switching to their own, but nothing beats a reliable Garmin with community based maps. AES cameras POI are already updated in Malfreemaps! Time to revive my Garmin for Windows Mobile, or just get a cheap Garmin standalone!

10. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I actually like Google Map's turn by turn navigation. Just before you arrive, it'll switch to street view. :) But not sure if that's just a US thing or not.

11. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Yes, in US, I actually like the google's turn by turn navigation, in my opinion, it feels easier to read than tomtom.

The street view right before you arrive is awesome too.

My backup gps is Waze, but I should find another backup just incase I loose data reception. :lol:

12. Chai

Yup, only limited to some countries. We don't even have street view here yet! I'm sure the Navigation is much better over there since there's their headquarters...

13. Adrian Wong

Looks like time for me to update my Garmin's maps.

Well, Garmin standalone GPS isn't always useful TBH. Like I pointed out, it tends to give you the shortest route even if you set it to the shortest time. Most likely because it doesn't support traffic data in Malaysia.

What I usually do is consult Google Maps before I head out, as it offers me a choice of routes. Then I would drive the route I prefer and then let Garmin guide me during the last legs of the journey.

14. Adrian Wong

ED#142 : Why Apple Maps-gate Could Have Been Avoided (Or Not) Rev. 2.1

In this minor update, we added a hilarious New Yorker cover by MadMagazine. If you haven't seen it yet, you have to check it out!

[​IMG]

Link : ED#142 : Why Apple Maps-gate Could Have Been Avoided (Or Not) Rev. 2.1

15. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

i don't think it has anything to do with the states being Google's HQ. street view is available in a lot of places in asia. you get it in thailand too (from phuket all the way to bangkok!!). they need to work with the local offices to gather these data. so
    hahaha, imo it's probably due to the inefficiency of the jabatan jalan jalan najib (busy surfing facebook haha). they can do it in thai, why not in KL? e.g. In SG, google partners with LTA (land transport fellas) for data, and the map is awesome. street view, public, mrt, transit, postalcode and real time traffic, bao ka liao and cun cun. the map can even tell you when the next bus will arrive. it works similarly in HK.

I don't think Apple can catch up anytime soon. it took Google years to work with the local authorities, and google is very good with making sense of data (bigtable db, search algorithm), they can manipulate and understand the data better than anyone else. ten years ago, you could build a good map with just quality dataset alone, but not in 2012. it must be able to search well. and since my search pattern is being tracked by google, they can relate that to my query in google maps too.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  16. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

funny how this stuff could happen in Apple. Didn`t they test it before lunching it ?

lol at the mines wonderland @ ikea

17. Adrian Wong

I think they tested and knew that it wasn't quite up to standard. I guess they expected users to give them the leeway they gave Google when Google Maps was first introduced.

Unfortunately, that didn't happen... for obvious reasons. LOL!

18. Chai

Yeah, I do noticed that it is available is many other Asia countries. I did use Street View exclusively when I was planning to travel in quite a number of places including NZ, even the road leading to Mt Cook has street view few years ago. I've also used it when I was looking for a camera shop in HK. I just came back from Phuket today, and I've guided the taxi driver to my hotel because I've used street view before booking the hotel!

So yeah, it's true that only Malaysia doesn't have Street View for some reason. It was my mistake for making a general statement.