ED#149 : Your Wireless Mouse Or Keyboard Acting Up? Blame USB 3.0!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Have you ever noticed that sometimes your wireless mouse or keyboard goes cranky - responding erratically to your movements or clicks, or sometimes not at all for a stretch of time? You might have tried replacing the battery, thinking that it might have just run out of juice but I'll bet that didn't work. :)

The problem appears to occur randomly - most of the time, the mouse or keyboard works just fine, but sometimes, for some reason, it goes all bonkers, before suddenly becoming normal again. You might wonder then if someone has hacked into your system, or if there's a ghost in the system. Well, the truth of the matter is that it's just USB 3.0!

[​IMG]

Link : ED#149 : Your Wireless Mouse Or Keyboard Acting Up? Blame USB 3.0!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  2. mathew7

mathew7 Newbie

Wow...I recently bought an Intel NUC D34010WYKH and noticed all my wireless KB/mouse devices had issues over 2m when plugged directly in it (all ports are USB3). Putting the receivers over a USB2 hub or a dongle (naturally their cables were pulled towards user, away from NUC) regained their 2-4m performance.
    But my first thought was the case with included 2 WiFi antennas could, maybe, resonate and create too much noise. Never though about USB3.

When I get back home in a few hours, I will try disabling USB3 (and maybe some spread-spectrum options if available) and see if that helps.

PS: Now that I think about it, I did see some "missing movement" from a mouse on my Thinkpad x230, with the mouse on the right side and receiver on the left, in USB3 port (basically, the whole laptop was between the mouse and it's receiver).

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yep, neither did I, but it was USB 3.0 all along for me. Give it a shot and let us know how it turns out. :thumb: