ED#171 : Should You Select MBR Or GPT When You Install A New Drive?

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Whenever someone installs a new drive into a Windows-based PC, there's the inevitable question, "Which should I choose - MBR or GPT?"

This is because once you boot up after installing the new drive, Windows will display a pop-up window, asking you to initialise the disk so that Windows can access it. It is at this point you have to choose between the MBR (Master Boot Record) and the GPT (GUID Partition Table) standards for partitioning the drive.

So what should you select at this point in time? Let us make the choice very simple for you...

[​IMG]

Link : ED#171 : Should You Select MBR Or GPT When You Install A New Drive?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  2. Adrian Wong

ED#171 : Should You Select MBR Or GPT When You Install A New Drive? Rev. 2.0

Whenever someone installs a new drive into a Windows-based PC, there's the inevitable question, "Which should I choose - MBR or GPT?"

This is because once you boot up after installing the new drive, Windows will display a pop-up window, asking you to initialise the disk so that Windows can access it. It is at this point you have to choose between the MBR (Master Boot Record) and the GPT (GUID Partition Table) standards for partitioning the drive.

So what should you select at this point in time? Let us make the choice very simple for you...

In this update, we added a new section called "Can I Access The Data On The Network?", and additional information on the key benefits of GPT.

[​IMG]

Link : ED#171 : Should You Select MBR Or GPT When You Install A New Drive? Rev. 2.0

3. Adrian Wong

ED#171 : Should You Select MBR Or GPT When You Install A New Drive? Rev. 3.0

In this update, we added new critical points about booting an operating system off GPT-partitioned drives. We also made various minor corrections and updates.

[​IMG]

Link : ED#171 : Should You Select MBR Or GPT When You Install A New Drive? Rev. 3.0

4. Adrian Wong

ED#171 : Should You Select MBR Or GPT When You Install A New Drive? Rev. 4.0

In this update, we added a new section called "Microsoft Windows Won't Install Or Boot On My GPT Drive!"

[​IMG]

Link : ED#171 : Should You Select MBR Or GPT When You Install A New Drive? Rev. 4.0