ED#173 : Windows May Fail To Boot Up After Installing Latest Internet Explorer Patch

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, May 3, 2014.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Microsoft just released a critical bug fix for the Internet Explorer vulnerability that allows a hacker to remotely execute code on your computer.

This bug affects operating systems from Windows XP up till the latest Windows 8.1 because the vulnerability exists in all Internet Explorer iterations, from IE6 to the latest Internet Explorer 11.

The good news is Microsoft just issued Security Update 2929437 which fixes the vulnerability for all of the affected Internet Explorer versions, even for Windows XP.

However, please DO NOT attempt to install this patch without some preparation.

[​IMG]

Link : ED#173 : Windows May Fail To Boot Up After Installing Latest Internet Explorer Patch

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Mine installed without any issue though.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

3. nheimler

nheimler Newbie

Done several myself...no issues thus far either. I would be more interested in knowing the setup you have. Maybe a driver conflict, AV being used, anything to compare by for if/when someone does stumble across the issue. Was the PC turned on for days/weeks etc when you applied the patch vs a cold/rebooted OS? Did you wake it from sleep or hibernate mode? I've known updates to go crazy from that sometimes. Maybe even the IE plugins or add ons that were installed at the time the patch was installed. Your article does not cover this. Plus you only indicate one instance of it happening with a Windows 7 machine. Do you have a lab that you tested other machines with by installing the patch? I've been in the tech industry a long time now to ask for more details than just having one instance of something going wrong. I usually quiz my clients about issues to get down the the dirt of the how and why it happened. :)

4. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Ginny's ok. Dun know about kiki.... Was updating as i left work.:pray:

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Sorry for the lack of updates, guys. I'm actually outstation, which is why I was only able to test this on my laptop, and I couldn't verify it on other systems.

However, I thought I should get the word out just in case after I verified that it was the bug fix, and not really a corrupt volume as Windows Boot Recovery reported. The key thing is to remind everyone to enable System Restore just in case they face the same issue as I did. If everything goes smoothly - fantastic. They can always turn off System Restore after that.

I'm actually one of those who would turn off System Restore. Hahaha... but I left it on for the last few updates and kinda forgot about it. How fortunate, because no matter what I tried, there was no way to "fix" the boot problem without rolling back the update.

BTW, I'm on a Dell Inspiron 14R Special Edition (7420) notebook with following specs :
    - Intel Core i7-3612QM
    - 16 GB of DDR3-1600 SDRAM
    - NVIDIA GeForce 640M
    - Intel 520 Series SSD as the boot drive
    - Windows 7 (64-bit)

All of the drivers were just updated two days prior to the introduction of the patch - so I doubt it is a driver issue. And the Inspiron is using the latest A19 BIOS.

The patch was also the only thing I installed in Windows Update. And I actually replicated the whole problem by installing it AGAIN... and yes, Windows failed to boot up right after that. Fortunately, I could roll back the update and boot up normally.

Incidentally, I successfully booted up Windows TWICE in the midst of 8 boot failures. Both times, Windows functioned normally. I could run applications, do some work, load Internet Explorer, etc. But once I shut down or restarted it, it would BSOD during the boot process and restart. :wall:

So this is really a mystery to me. However, I'm glad that no one else encountered the same problem as I did. :thumb: :thumb: