mini small budget upgrade

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PowerSlide, Apr 24, 2014.

1. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

time to upgrade and some googling i wana go small this time, here whats i come out with

intel 4670K
    ASRock Z87E ITX
    ram use back my old 8GB 1600mhz
    vga card too use back my old gtx460
    Corsair obsidian 250D case
    psu too will recycle my existing unit

around RM1.6K to 1.7K for 3 item, maybe need a new cpu cooler as well to do some ocing

i can save more money by staying big i mean not going mini itx since i only run 1 single vga no sound card..just very bare minimum

what you guys think?

2. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Do you have a SSD yet? If not, you must get one!:thumb:

Did you see my new build?:)

3. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

SSD!! yea forget that haha

already using one :thumb:

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

You are looking to overclock a lot?

If you want to game, might as well spend more money in the graphics card and RAM.

Hehehe... Trinity has caught the SSD bug! :thumb: :thumb:

5. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

wont OC alot

maybe buys a cheaper cpu and use the money for a new vga

such headache :mrgreen:

looks like Z97 chipset coming with haswell refresh, i think im gonna wait for it then

6. Adrian Wong

I would definitely spend more money on a faster GPU, especially for games. The CPU isn't going to matter much as long as you get a reasonably good Intel Core i5 CPU. Heck, even a Core i3 will do.

Haswell Refresh is a minor update. Basically slightly higher (100 MHz generally) clock speeds at the same price.

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, wait for the new haswell refresh and z97. If you are upgrading PSU, get a good one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

8. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

will decide what to do after the new intel cpu are launched

a decent midrange card like R9 280X cost RM1K++..ouch..and higher end like 290X costing RM2K++..what!!! how can toilet cleaner like can afford it lol

9. Chai

GTX760 is quite affordable which is 270X range. You can consider the GTX770 (280X) if you can afford. Don't bother with GTX780 or 290X class.

10. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

GTX760 is not very affordable at RM1.1K :mrgreen: and 270X is a rebrand 7870? and still it cost around Rm800 to RM900

i only buys mid range below RM1K card but looks like now mid end hardware prices pushed up alot

280X looks like the sweet card or the 270X can too get the job done not that i will hook it up to a high res monitor

alot of reading to do, i never build mitx before so alot of consideration like cpu cooling and space in the casing

11. Chai

GTX760 is only RM800. There's no need for the more expensive Asus. Any card works the same, unless you want pre OC or better default cooler.

12. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

yes, just dig more leadtek for RM799 and zotac around the same price..not too bad at this price

another option i see is go the amd route, can build FX6350 with decent good oc mobo at fraction more than a 4670K alone, good value to put money on elsewhere although its slow even after oc it and one big issue there are no i mean not a single mitx mobo that support the amd cpu :doh:

13. Adrian Wong

Yeah, I wouldn't really bother with the special cards. Go with the reference design for maximum value. :thumb:

14. Chai

Personally, if you are not concerned about performance that much, go for the cheaper i3 like Trinity's recent build. The power consumption is excellent!

GTX760 is a good choice because the PCB is very short (if you take out the stock cooler). You may want to consider GTX750 for an ITX build. It's easily the best performance/power consumption ratio card out there.

15. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

points taken, thanks guys :thumb:

now is just waiting for intel to release it, but looking at the new Z97 motherboard thinking of scrapping mitx idea, more choice for full size motherboard

another thing, should i stick to buying a good heatsink like noctua or go for AIO water cooling? example a i see a noctua NH-U12S cost RM250+- but a single rad AIO like corsair H60 cost a little more

16. Chai

Get a good heatsink. AIO water cooling is OK, but it will not match air cooling in terms of noise level. It is hard to find a good performing pump with minimal noise.

Noctua has interesting fan collection, but not necessarily the best.

17. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

i thought those AIO should be very silent especially pump that dont generate much noise :think:

18. Chai

I'm not sure how good are those pumps, but a high quality fan like those noctua or gentle typhoons will definitely be quieter.

19. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

just stick to air cooler the easiest unless wana go full on diy water cooling

this look nice

[​IMG]

20. Chai

You should seriously consider the cheaper Z97-D3H. It is good enough for most hardcore users unless you need SLI, crazy overclocking etc.