ED#183 : The Apple iPhone 6 Isn't The Only Smartphone To Bend It Like Beckham

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Apple haters are having a field day with #Bendgate, with many comments and parodies insinuating that this is an unprecedented problem. Well, that couldn't be further from the truth.

In the first place, this isn't really an Apple-specific problem. Any smartphone that uses a metal body is susceptible to bending, especially if it is made from aluminium instead of stainless steel. Smartphones with thick steel frames or plastic bodies do not have the same problem, which is why you can bend the iPhone 5s but not the iPhone 5c.

In fact, the same tendency to "bend it like Beckham" has been noted in a number of past and present smartphone models. Let's check them out, and see if you can spot their similarities.

[​IMG]

Link : ED#183 : The Apple iPhone 6 Isn't The Only Smartphone To Bend It Like Beckham

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I think most people are concerned not because phones are bendable, but how easy it is to bend iPhone 6. Most phones in your article other than iPhone looked like it suffered from large impact, especially EVO 4G LTE. Even the M7 looked like it hit some long and hard edge item to cause that bend. Other phones are not so clear.

But I do agree with the obsession of slim and large screen phones. I would still prefer a phone with 4.3"-4.7", can be much thicker than what we have now to allow bigger batteries. Honestly, even with the cheap and good Xiaomi power bank, I hate carrying it everywhere.

3. Adrian Wong

Yeah, but I think they need to start differentiating between the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus, which is relatively easy to bend.

Also, I have to question the sanity of someone who shoves a 5.5" phone down a front or back pocket, and not remove it while sitting down. Isn't it going to be extremely uncomfortable even if he/she has large enough pockets to do so?

I think the most clear-cut case of really bendable phone is the Sony Xperia Z1. There are so many cases of them bending "by themselves". Most likely their users sat on them, although everyone seems to deny it. Anyway, there are a lot more cases than I posted in that article.

With regard to the slimness of the new iPhone 6, I think it could be too thin to hold comfortably. I really wished they would make it thicker. It would have :
    - increased battery capacity
    - increased stiffness of the aluminium case, preventing or reducing the likelihood of bending
    - prevented the camera lens from protruding from the back of the phone
    - made it easier to hold in the hand

Now, one reviewer found that she couldn't even use it for more than 6 hours without running out of juice. She discovered that you really had to turn off background refresh to get a full day of use.

The Apple iPhone is an anomaly with regard to battery life. All other Apple devices have industry-leading battery life - from the iPod to MacBooks and iPads. What's with the limited battery life on the iPhone??? :wall:

4. Chai

Slightly off topic, what's the key difference between iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus?

- Resolution and ppi difference
    - OIS on Plus, no OIS on smaller 6.
    - Battery size (obviously)

Other than those, anything else? I'm not sure if Apple's marketing is too good, all fan boys seem to think that iPhone 6 Plus is superior to 6, but they can't tell me the differences... :shifty:

5. Adrian Wong

If I'm not mistaken, the iPhone 6 Plus also supports the new landscape split-screen, but the iPhone 6 does not.

6. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I heard cases of smashed and bent phone screens are due to the phone being placed in the back pocket of trousers/jeans. Even older classic era phones suffered from the same fate.

Personally, I don't try to put those at the back pocket. Sitting on the phone could cause the phone to either sag or break. :faint:

7. Chai

I saw consumer reports testing the phones' ability to bend, or lack of. But it didn't address or answer the original question. Does the weak point (near to the volume control) can withstand the same amount of pressure as the rest of the phone?

I wouldn't put such a large phone in my usual pocket, front or back. It will easily damage it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

8. Adrian Wong

No, it certainly doesn't address that question. That may account for the different experiences people have when they (illegally) tried to bend the iPhones at the Apple Store.

Some said it was very easy. Others say it cannot be bent. CNN even did a piece where they tried to bend it but failed - People are now bending iPhones in Apple Stores - Sep. 30, 2014

9. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

this is the most retarded argument ever. it's dumber than those drop tests. look a bent phone is no different than a broken screen.

I dropped my 5s (into a pool of water. it was raining and we were rushing back) just 2 days after I renewed my contract. can i complain that 5s is too "smooth and slippery?" :wall: :wall: :wall:

and you know what is great about apple products? I got a replacement unit for 380. no question asked. good luck if you drop an android.

a friend of mine bent her iphone 5 two years ago. yes she placed it in her back pocket. yes she wore skinny jeans. and yes she has nice curvy ass. we rejoiced when she broke it. what a piece of art. :thumb:

10. Adrian Wong

Eh, I didn't know you could get a replacement unit for 380 since it's water-damaged. That's SGD, right?