Spilled soft drink in car passenger seat!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by The_YongGrand, Sep 29, 2014.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

As usual, I drove back to work with a cup of fizzy drink after lunchtime, then had a bump, and 1/2 of it spilled onto the seat! :faint:

Trying to contain the damage: I took the cloth and soaked it up a bit more before the other liquid settled down to the seat. :wall:

Any tips and guides for removing or fixing 80% of this damage? I wanted to use a damp cloth, and place it on the soaked area first before I used a detergent or a Febreze.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I'm assuming it's a fabric seat?

The problem with such seats is that if you are not fast enough, the liquid soaks into the foam inside and dries up.

There are cleaning services that can clean the cushion without removing it, but I'm not sure how much they cost. Basically their machines will blast water into the cushion and suck it out.

3. The_YongGrand

Yeah, it's a fabric. :wall:

Unfortunately, I was at the middle of the road during the nasty spill, so I can't pull over to get rid most of the liquid. The chamois on my side only absorbed part of it. :faint:

I'm going to take out the seat once I'm off the work and try to get rid of the stain - hopefully a large percentage of it. :wall:

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Looks like some of the common tricks to remove includes cleaning with as little water as possible, use dishwasher liquid mixed with water. You can find some guides online

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

You can also buy and use hydrogen peroxide but I'm not sure if it will discolour the fabric or not.

One thing's for sure - it will make the spot obviously cleaner, so if you do use it, you will want to clean the entire piece, and not just one area.

6. The_YongGrand

Thanks for the suggestion. When I got home, I just happened to have the upholstery (foam) cleaner which I could get rid most of the stains on the surface. However, I don't think the cushion subsurface is spared from such damage. :faint:

I will clean the entire seat later since it's already dirty at the start. (that's what you get when you buy 2nd hand car!) :whistle: