Best HDD - workstation

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by LateralusArt, Oct 1, 2014.

1. LateralusArt

LateralusArt Newbie

I am looking for the fastest and also quite big hard drive for my arch-viz workstation (file storage, not OS drive). From all companys which makes drives i choose i think the best:

WD

Black 4 TB
    Velociraptor 1 TB

SEAGATE

SSHD (don't want this)

HITACHI (WD BRAND)

?

TOSHIBA

?

I think the best choice will be to buy WD Black 4 TB. I probably don't see any point in making RAID 0 or 1.

What do You think?

2. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

I agree. The WD.:)

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Definitely the 4 TB WD Black if you need speed and storage capacity. But if your workstation is going to be running 24/7 and storing critical stuff, you might want to spring for the new WD Red Pro, or the server-grade WD Re drives. They are more expensive though...

4. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

if you want to do RAID you shouldn't consider 4TB SATA drive. the rebuild time alone will take days.

to be honest, there are huge differences between SSD and HDD. there is none in HDD vs HDD vs HDD vs HDD.

it's pointless to pick the best HDD, unless you are contemplating between SAS and SATA. a couple of sequential MBps here and there for SATA drives hardly matters. for file storage you should pick one that comes with swift warranty replacement service (local) and you should always have redundancy. in our case, we buy only seagate for our office use, not because it's the best but because it's the fastest when it comes to RMA service. log, pack and send. replacement unit comes back a few days later. no distributor pain, no gps pain. it's just us and seagte.

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I don't think he wants to build a RAID array. He just wants a fast HDD for file storage.

You are correct that we should consider warranty replacement as a factor. I would hate to wait weeks for a replacement HDD!