Malaysia’s Latest Intel®-based Tablet weighs in at RM699!

Discussion in 'News' started by Adrian Wong, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia, February 27, 2015 – As one of the region’s most prolific users of smartphones and tablets, Malaysian consumers are set to be spoiled for choice with the debut of iPro’s latest Intel Architecture based tablet – the LIVEPAD 8.9.

Powered by the Intel® AtomTM Z3735F Quad-Core processor and running on Windows 8.1, the LIVEPAD 8.9 (16GB) features an 8.9 inch (1920 x 1200) HD display; ideal for both casual gaming and productivity work including word and image processing. The tablet is supported by an 8000mAh battery and 2GB RAM.

[​IMG]

It is available for its first 800 customers * from today until the 1st of March, 2015 at a one-time only introductory price of RM699 at Plaza Low Yat.

“We are proud to present our very first 8.9 inch tablet based on Intel and hope that our customers will be blown away by the full Windows 8.13 PC experience in its slim, streamlined form factor,” said Daniel Chia, Head of Sales & Marketing IPRO Mobile (M) Sdn Bhd. “It was a joy to work with Intel and Microsoft to bring this tablet to market. We intend to aim high and are confident of introducing newer and greater products for consumers both inside and outside of Malaysia.”

In conjunction with its official launch, the 1st 500 owners ** of the LIVEPAD 8.9 (16GB) will also receive a free keyboard and pouch worth RM199 with each unit purchased. After the promotion period, IPRO plans to retail the 16GB model at RM799.

“We are working closely in cooperation with local tech players such as iPro Mobile to bring new devices and innovation to market in Malaysia. The LivePad 8.9 is an excellent example of how Intel based tablets provide on the go utility and entertainment that fits the mobile lifestyle of consumers,” said Sumner Lemon, Country Manager Intel Malaysia and Singapore. “We congratulate iPro on the launch of this exciting device and look forward to working together to bring a wider portfolio of products based on Intel technology to market in Malaysia.”

“We’re pleased to continue supporting local OEMs in offering a wide assortment of Windows tablets for every need, desire and budget in Malaysia market. Our partnership with companies such as IPRO only underscores our commitment to do so,” said Rukmani Subramanian, Chief Marketing and Operations Officer, Microsoft Malaysia. “It’s fantastic to play a strategic role with IPRO launching their very first Windows tablet today. With the LIVEPAD 8.9, users can now enjoy the Windows 8.1 experience, with the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 10 for free later this year. As a Windows tablet, LIVEPAD 8.1 has the portability to keep you productive and free to roam with your movies, music, games, email and web just a click away. Users of LIVEPAD 8.9 get a free one-year subscription of Office 365 Personal that includes Power Point, Word, Excel, OneNote plus 1 terabyte of cloud storage through OneDrive – therefore enabling customers to do more and be more in today’s digital era.”

* Promotion valid ONLY for first 800 units purchased from Low Yat Plaza from 26th February, 2015 to 1st March, 2015. Promotion is made available by IPRO MOBILE (M) SDN BHD and BSCOM (M) SDN BHD. Pricing information provided by IPRO MOBILE (M) SDN BHD.

** Promotion valid ONLY for first 250 units purchased from Low Yat Plaza and first 250 units ordered from iClickz.com - Homepage. Promotion is made available by IPRO MOBILE (M) SDN BHD and BSCOM (M) SDN BHD.

Attached Files:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Another 16GB model...it is really useless with such small capacity. Even with MicroSD slot, it is useless.

3. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

if not mistaken they are coming out with 32gb model.
    anyway why do u say it uselss even with micosd slot ?

4. Adrian Wong

They are using WIMBoot to cut down Windows to just 4 GB in size.

12 GB won't give us too much space to install many software but I don't think it's useless, especially since Office 2013 / 365 only needs about 3 GB of space.

I'm more concerned about the 2GB of RAM... Even smartphones have more RAM these days...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  5. Chai

App store apps cannot be installed on micro sd, so capacity is a big problem, and this is even before installing Microsoft office. I can live with 1gb ram, just a little slower. And one of the best thing about Windows tablet is the multi user capabilities, but with 16gb, it's almost impossible to have more than 2 users profile.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

6. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

really ? didnt know that

7. Adrian Wong

Yeah, AFAIK, all the apps must be installed into the internal storage. The 16 GB will definitely limit how many apps you can install but if you are using it for work, it should be more than enough to get by with, I think.

8. Chai

I don't think you should use such a tablet for work, which is why such tablets are pointless IMO without sufficient space.

For me, a media consumption tablet like this, storage > RAM > screen > processor.

App store apps limitation was imposed in Win 8.1. On the Win8, there was a workaround.

9. Adrian Wong

It depends what work you want to do. In cases where the tablet is only meant to do paperwork on the go, making orders online, etc.

That said, I dislike the race to the bottom in Android / Windows tablets. Everyone's just trying to gain market share by selling the cheapest tablet possible.

10. Chai

If that's what they want to use it for, just get iPad or Android tablet. Much cheaper and faster, depending on which platform.

11. Adrian Wong

That's true, although it has the advantage of supporting full Windows applications.

Plus, this 16 GB model actually has only 5.26 GB of usable storage space due to a Recovery partition - Tech ARP - The Intel / iPro LIVEPAD 8.9 Face To Face Event :wall: :wall:

It would be better to wait for the 32 GB model, which costs just RM 100 more...

12. Chai

I have already used a tablet of such nature, that's why I think storage is far too important for such devices, 32GB is bare minimum like you said, due to recovery partition. You can remove that if you want, but reinstalling back without recovery partition can be tricky. You can't be installing Windows applications on the much slower MicroSD, and this is with UHS1 cards, and it is really slow.

I couldn't even do proper test because there's no space to install software.

13. Adrian Wong

I think those who purchased this didn't really understand the difference between an Android tablet and a Windows tablet...

14. Chai

They will once they own them. :haha:

You really need to use it to understand the limitations.

15. Adrian Wong

Well, hopefully, we will get a review sample of it soon. But I have no doubt the 16 GB version is very limited in what it can do. I can only recommend that those who want to buy it should opt for the 32 GB model.