The Samsung Galaxy S6 & Galaxy S6 Edge Unpacked Event

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

In the wee hours of the morning of the 2nd of March, 2015, Samsung Malaysia invited us to the Samsung Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge Unpacked event. Even though it was held at the Theatre Lounge Cafe, Plaza Damas 3 in Sri Hartamas from 12:30 am until 3 am, we arrived to a packed room, and they were expecting even more members of the media to arrive.

[​IMG]

In all, about 60 members of the mainstream and online media were at hand to join Samsung Malaysia in witnessing the launch of the Samsung Galaxy S6 and the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge smartphones live streamed from the Mobile World Congress 2015 in Barcelona, Spain. Check out what happened during the launch!

Link : The Samsung Galaxy S6 & Galaxy S6 Edge Unpacked Event

2. Adrian Wong

The Samsung Galaxy S6 & Galaxy S6 Edge Unpacked Event Rev. 2.0

About 60 members of the mainstream and online media were at hand to join Samsung Malaysia in witnessing the launch of the Samsung Galaxy S6 and the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge smartphones live streamed from the Mobile World Congress 2015 in Barcelona, Spain. Check out what happened during the launch!

[​IMG]

In this major update, we added a new page with the official Samsung press release, specifications and colour options for the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge smartphones.

Link : The Samsung Galaxy S6 & Galaxy S6 Edge Unpacked Event Rev. 2.0

3. luci

luci Newbie

Galaxy S6 edge missing features

On the balance, the Edge is a clever, well-designed piece. But why didn't Samsung made Galaxy S6 and Galaxy s6 edge waterproof , or with removable battery ? ... I don't understand. Thank you

4. Adrian Wong

Neither do I...

While I can understand them skipping a removable battery - doing so allows for a slimmer fit, I cannot understand their removal of the microSD slot...

And yes, waterproofing would been a nice feature... :(

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

That's the answer from the typical marketing smelly smell.

There's absolutely no reason why they can't make a phone as slim with removable battery. They are following Apple's foot step simply because most consumers don't really care, and that's just their typical answer that doesn't make any sense. By saying that they can't build as nice looking phone would have been a much better excuse.

If it is for waterproofing, then yes, I would accept that. It is still possible to make it waterproof, but it is far more complex.

6. Adrian Wong

No doubt they can make a slim smartphone with a removable battery. But it is a fact that they are, like Apple and other manufacturers, racing to tout the slimmest profile possible. That's why their keynote speech made sure we knew that the S6 was only 6.8 mm thick, while the S6 edge was only 7.0 mm thick.

With that obsession in mind, every mm counts. Making the battery non-removable would save them maybe 2-3 mm because they can do away with the battery case and the removable back.

What I think they really should not have done is remove the microSD slot. That was a big differentiation from the Apple platform, and for an Apple user - a major advantage of the Android platform.

Did you guys see the launch prices? There is such a wide range in retail prices.. but the general consensus is that it will be priced at the same price point as the Note 4 and Note Edge.

Which would you get, if you have to choose between the two families?

7. Chai

Neither. I much prefer thicker phone for better battery life and better grip. :mrgreen:

Another advantage of Android is the wide choices of brands. There's no need to stick to Samsung. :mrgreen:

8. Adrian Wong

Yeah... a thicker phone is definitely better in both aspects, but for some reason, manufacturers are obsessed with delivering the thinnest possible devices.

Even ASUS touted how much thinner their ZenBook UX305 is, compared to the new Apple MacBook. :mrgreen:

9. Chai

Notebook is a completely different story. As long as the thickness can support the weight, they can make it as slim as possible.

For a phone, especially for small single handed operation, it is almost impossible to use especially when there's almost no bezel for your palm to grip on without triggering the touchscreen. The lack of thickness makes matter worse when your palm needs to grip the front bezel. Another obvious fact is the lack of grip makes it easier to slip off your hand too.

Why are they making such phones? Ask the stupid consumers... :nuts: That's what they are asking for.

10. Adrian Wong

Yeah but people assume slim = light, which isn't always true.

The new Apple MacBook, for example, weighs just 920 g. The new ASUS ZenBook is thinner than the MacBook (believe it or not!) but it's actually 30% heavier at 1.2 kg.

Yeah, the slim form factor of the iPhone 6 is why I dropped and "killed" it... :(