Synology DSM 5.2 Important Update

Discussion in 'News' started by Adrian Wong, May 23, 2015.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Synology has just released an update with several important enhancements for the DiskStation Manager (DSM) 5.2. It is available for download on your DSM: Control Panel > Update & Restore. It is always recommended that you install the latest update to obtain an even smoother user experience.

If you haven't upgraded to DSM 5.2-5565, it can be found at the Synology Download Center.

[​IMG]

Version:5.2-5565 Update 1

1. Fixed an issue where users could fail to join domain when the domain admin account contains specific characters.

2. Improved the compatibility with USB devices.

3. Fixed a security vulnerability to prevent cross-site scripting attacks (XSS).

4. Upgraded PHP to 5.5.25 to address multiple security vulnerabilities (CVE-2006-7243, CVE-2015-4021, CVE-2015-4022, CVE-2015-4024, CVE-2015-4025, CVE-2015-4026).

5. Improved the compatibility with 3rd party DTV applications.

6. Fixed an issue where SSD cache volume information may not be displayed correctly in Resource Monitor.

7. Fixed an issue where users with guest accounts would be unable to create new files or folders via SMB protocol.

2. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

:shock:

I used to experience random corruption problems writing to an external 2.5"... then a later update seemed to have fixed it... hope this one doesn't break anything again... :pray:

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Unfortunately, according to Geert Diels, it breaks hibernation on many HDDs. :(

4. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

o_O good thing I haven't updated yet...

5. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

This is the reason I avoid NAS appliances at all cost.

neither for home nor for business.. no NAS! :shifty: :shifty:

at home, just get a windows PC with whql drivers. linux mdadm sounds cool. until one random day when fstab decides to have a little fun with you.

at work, you call the real storage guys.

it's the same with buying SSD. intel and intel only.

validation & processes really really do mean alot!

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Can't agree more.

7. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

My Samsung SSD is working great so far? Should I worry?:think:

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

840 evo especially doesn't seem to have a good record.

9. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Which is why they released the 850 evo ;)

But the main advantage of a NAS appliance is reliability and ease in operation (at least the good ones). You want to shut it down? Press the button on the front. You want to eject a USB drive? Press the button on the front.

Although a Windows NAS server might be able to reconfigure the power button to instant-shutdown on push, but I don't think there's such a feature for USB, and you end up having to remote desktop or telnet into the thing just to operate it. Also I don't trust Windows to have 99% shutdown reliability when the external power button is pressed...

10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

hahaha nope im using samsung ssd too. :shifty: :shifty:

at home for desktop I use 840 840pro 850pro too :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

reliability: nope
    ease in operation: yes

a normal windows desktop will do. that's how I set it up at home but it doesn't solve your USB requirement.

I just let the machine to auto sleep and wol when I need it.

12. Trinity

I'm using 840pro 128G for my boot drive. And I love it!:D

13. Trinity

Oh man,,,,:faint: I'm glad I spent a few more bucks on the 'pro'.:)