Question of design - white internal DVD-RW?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by trodas, Jul 30, 2015.

1. trodas

trodas Newbie

Guys, I wonder, if anyone can suggest me a good (at best RPC-1 patchable) DVD-RW drive. I like my old NEC drives (DV-4551A, DV-2510A) and I'm even satisfacted with the Sony Optiarc AD-7621S, but all these are baige/black.

Now what good drive (SATA these says, of course) is produced in white color? Could anyone help me out?

For THIS case it could be a reall beauty:
    [​IMG]
    ...and basically it is a question of design. I seen plenty of extrernal (slim, sadly, not re-usable as internal drive) white DVD-RW combodrives, but none internal.

Anyone can suggest white one...?

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

With the use of DVD writer declining, hard disk space increasing, introduction of BluRay drives, almost no white cases, I haven't seen any white DVD writers.

I remember Sony at one time, packages both black and white front faces of their DVD drives.

And even it you found a white one, there's a chance the shade will be different.

You could try painting the face yourself and make it gloss white.
    Or you can do the white/black theme.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

The other problem with the plastic face plates is that they turn yellow under UV light. If you are particular about the shade, ay's idea is a good one - paint over the face.

4. trodas

trodas Newbie

Looks like that one have to do it yourself. The most close thing to white I find is this:

[​IMG]

(Samsung SH-224DB white drive, I fear it will be more baige-like...)

I got also warning, that:
    ...but hopefully that would be fixed, as Samsung is releasing plenty of firmware updated. Worser is, that there is no RPC-1 firmware (region free). Older Samsung drivers are covered: codeguys.rpc1.org - Firmwares
    But not yet this one.

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, they are all more beige than white. :D

6. zy

Yeah, usually they are beige, the best option is to paint it.

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Take the face plate out and spray white. It will looks much better without the stupid logos.

8. peterfan

peterfan Newbie

Few people use DVD-RW drive nowadays.

9. trodas

trodas Newbie

Makes me wonder, how hard will be to remove the tray... :rolleyes: The "faceplace" alone seems to be easy for removal, no idea about the button... :oops:

And DVD-RW is good install medium, I have all my installs on CD's / DVD's, so it works out for me.

10. zy

Faceplates are easy to remove. However, the button is actually attached(melted/glued) to the faceplate, which wont be easy to seperate from the faceplate for painting purposes.