HDMI to VGA adapter

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by belikethat, Nov 13, 2015.

1. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

thinking of getting a HDMI to VGA adapter to plug in my laptop to monitor.

I check the price range goes from rm20 to hundreds.
    Are they any different in terms of quality ?:roll:

A quick search on Rakuten Malaysia

Rakuten Malaysia: hdmi to vga adapter

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Usually cables don't really matter. But HDMI is digital signal, and VGA is analog, so there's potentially quality drop using such converters. But I think it's safe enough to gamble on a cheap converter I guess.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, the cable quality will matter because VGA is analog. The more expensive cable should also (THEORETICALLY) have a better DAC.

Still, I wouldn't pay top dollar for a converter. These converters shouldn't cost all that much to make. I would buy a cheap one to try. If it works well enough, heh.. that's money saved. :D

4. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

thanks for all the advice, will buy a cheap one :p

5. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

You can get a cheap one. I have a few of them too. Beware that some of them doesn't really work well on certain resolutions and they get real hot to the touch.

Some of them have an audio jack, and some of them don't. :)

6. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

guess what.. i got a cheap HDMI to vga adapter.... and it doesnt work!! :wall::wall::wall::wall:

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Did you buy one for Mac?

8. Adrian Wong

Is he using a Mac?

9. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

What laptop are you using?

10. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

i am using dell vostro5470
    i called up to complaint, the guy told me these adapter are known not to work on certain laptop
    so i went and try another laptop, lenova. and it works....
    I borrow a rm90 HDMI adapter and tried on my dell and it works.

is there anything i can do. update driver? i have quite a recent driver.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  11. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Hard to say... despite being a single plug, HDMI actually has multiple specifications and output formats. It could be that the adapter isn't capable of recognizing whatever format or codec your laptop is outputting. Not sure if a driver can solve that or not.

12. zy

I was thinking more of it doesn't work on certain combinations of laptop+monitor. Maybe there's a restriction or issue with certain resolution.

13. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

oh well, lesson learn :p
    cheap products :p

14. zy

I'm in the same boat now, my new laptop for work doesn't have VGA. :doh:

15. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

For HDMI to VGA, like most have advices, best not to go with the cheapest. You'd want a decent DAC chip working for you and this is the first thing that gets skimped on for the cheapest converters. While you don't necessary have to go with known brands like Belkin, you can try with some semi known brands. Perhaps one that's been rebranded by a major it retailer. Here in SG, challenger has their own branded goods under Valore and while it's not the best in quality, it at least would have some level of QC that's decent enough.

But of course. If you can afford a Belkin one, go for it. Nothing's worse that a failed converter or distorted video in the middle of your big presentation.

16. zy

Something like this i guess which is powered: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61aoy-0iGYL._SL1500_.jpg
    Or something like this half the price of above: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61sgK2C7IiL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm not sure how well hdmi vga convertors (non USB-powered) works with long cables, especially at work where the projector is on the ceiling, or digital TVs where VGA wirings are like 10ft long minimum.

17. peaz

Just used one at the Razer's office (yes. Razer!!!). They had one that's of an unknown brand. Didn't work with my Mac. LOL. Had to use my DisplayPort adapter instead.

18. Adrian Wong

LOL! Razer is doing so well, they can afford good quality adaptors! :D

19. zy

At my client site, they use Lenovo laptops, so basically almost everything will be lenovo. Laptop. USB docking station for newer laptops. Monitors. Even the mini-Display Port to VGA is Lenovo. LOL
    I do not have mini Display Port so i'm out of luck... lol

20. peaz

Yea. I've been noticing laptops with only HDMI ports. I thought Mini DisplayPort would have been a better choice. Hmm.