The ATI Radeon To ATI FireGL Mod Guide!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Chai, Jun 18, 2004.

1. KingNic

KingNic Newbie

No there's a big issue between VIA chipsets and high end ATI cards running at AGP 8x. I have to run my 9800 pro at AGP 4x, otherwise it's unstable as hell.

Anyway I've got it working. Updated my mobo's BIOS, bumped AGP up to 8x and turned AGP fast write on. Seems to be stable now so I'm happy. :)

2. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Congratz! :)

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

hmmm Fast Write should be On or Off ? ..

Omega drivers recommend them Off...
    any ideas?

4. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I always enable it unless is causes some stability issues :p

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, FastWrite is supposed to improved performance. It does. But in most cases, it's not particularly significant.

However, it does seem to reduce overclockability. So, you might want to try disabling it. See if that helps your overclockability.

Once you are satisfied with the overclocked speeds, try enabling FastWrite for that extra edge. If that doesn't work, leave FastWrite off.

6. News Writer

News Writer News Writer

The guide has just been updated! :wave:

Want a FireGL workstation card but can't afford to pay ATI's exhorbitant prices? Well, why don't you grab a Radeon desktop card and mod it into a FireGL card? Yes, you can easily mod a Radeon into the FireGL!

Our guide will go through all the possible FireGL mods for the Radeon 8500, 9500, 9600, 9700 and 9800 series of cards and teach you just how to mod your Radeon into a FireGL! Check it out!

Here are the updates:-
    • Updated pages 1, 2, 3, 5, 7 and 14.
      [*]Rearranged the entire guide for better flow; and to reduce confusion.

[​IMG]

Link : ATI Radeon To ATI FireGL Mod Guide Rev. 4.0!

7. telemachus

telemachus Newbie

Hey I was going through [H]ard OCP's front page and i saw the the FireGL MOD for Radeon's. This thing is awesome... i'm an architecture student in my last few years at school and all we do now is VIZ/MAX/CAD work. I didn't have the $$$ to buy a FireGL card, so i ended up buying a Radeon 9800 Pro.

The card worked great before... but it works even better now! I am able to keep LOTS of geometry (even moreso than the stock 9800 pro could) on the screen with out have to turn adaptive degradation on, bounding box, and continually keep turning geometry off. I would like to run some benchmarks on 3DS MAX for fps but i don't know where to look.

I have noticed that i can hear the heatsink fan running at a faster RPM than before. Do you think i should drop the $4o to buy a Artic VGA cooler fan for my card just to be on the safe side that i don't fry it... I did notice that all the FireGL cards do come with better heatsinks and fans that the Radeons do.

Anyway i just want to say thanks for an awesome time, sleep, and money saving tip.

-telemachus

8. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

LoL! You're welcome! Glad that it helped you to save some money! :beer: :mrgreen:

Don't worry about it, you won't fry your card :mrgreen: Unless you do voltage moddings on it that is :lol: Anyway, are you sure that the stock HSF is running faster than before? this is strange...... :think:

9. weapon121

weapon121 Newbie

Had to see it, to believe it...!!

Not only does it improve 3d studio max, but I also use combustion and premiere to edit videos, and the diffrence in the realtime preview windows are huge!! :clap: :dance: Photoshop seems to be allot more smoother also.I had to actually flash the bios , because none of the methods would work. I would get all the panels and stuff, but max would get unstable and crash!! so would combustion...
    After working around the drivers for a while , they finally worked. My hat goes off to everyone involved in this mod!!!
    Its practicle and very "cost effective"..jejej :D
    Now i can concentrate on more ram and stuff!! Instead of "Wasting my money"on ridiculously overpriced cards"!!
    thx again, and keep up the great work!!

10. weapon121

weapon121 Newbie

11. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Glad that it worked for you too :mrgreen: Congratz! :beer:
    Enjoy your 'FireGL X2' ;) :lol:

12. dgnzcn

dgnzcn Newbie

help for "9800 pro to fireGL" conversion

I succefuly flashed TyanFireGLX2-128 to my sapphire radeon 9800 pro 256 bit 128 mb..
    now what am I do ?
    I downloaded ati's web site firegl-unified-xp-w2k-804311 driver
    but when I pathcing from rivatuner giving everytime this message :
    Browsing for file ati2mtag.sys... selected 6.14.10.6483, 800256 bytes
    Using native patch installation mode 0
    WARNING: Certified patch script not found, using common patch script...
    ERROR: Target sequence must be replaced 2 time(s)!
    81 f9 00 80 00 00 75 00 a9 00 00 00 08

rivatuner version is v.2.0 candiate 15.2
    what can I do..?
    help please..
    tahnky.

13. weapon121

weapon121 Newbie

whenever you see that it says must patch it twice, you have to also patch the other extention in the menu.

For example first patch it under .sys, then .sy. It should be in the extention droplist.

Also , the drivers that worked for me are the 7.98.5 version at the ati site
    Then after patching those drivers and Installed them, I Installed the Freefiregl drivers, then I istalled the firegl panel drivers from the first drivers i installed

I have no idea why, but thats the way i got them to work 100%

I performed the same exact procedure on a new HDisk, and it worked off the bat
    :dance:

14. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

dgnzcn :mrgreen:

I suggest that you should try the FreeFireGL first :mrgreen: If it doesn't work, only then you use the RivaTuner patching method :mrgreen:

15. dgnzcn

dgnzcn Newbie

Max_87
    FreeFireGL old driver then ati's original fireGL drivers.
    what is performance differents.
    and if I restore to my radeon 9800 pro original bios, and then if I load FreeFireGL drivers, is there are performances differences ?

16. hixatchi

hixatchi Newbie

since nobody released a fire glx mod for the ati radeon 9800 pro 128 mb with the 360 core.....

i was wondering if it would be safe to use the hynix ram hercules with 256 and xt clock speeds and modify the 256 to 128 mb memory would this work??? or could someone release a fire glx2 128mb version for hte 360 core or know where to find it? thanks.

and yes i know u don't have to flash the bios but i wanna do it anyways :D

17. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I never tested and compared between the two drivers, so I absolutely don't have any idea about it. However, even if there is a difference in the performance, I doubt that it's going to be significant :mrgreen:

er.....between? :)

18. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

:wall: :wall: :lol: Okay....

Flashing the wrong bios to your card won't damage it :mrgreen: If anything goes wrong, just install a PCI graphics card and reflash your card with the original bios. Please refer to the guide again if you are not sure how to do it ;)

You should be able to find the bios you need from our Downloads Area. Give the Tyan/Club3d FireGL X2 bios images a shot :mrgreen:

19. Nothing, really.

Just wanted to say hi to you guys. Haven't dropped by in quite some time. Good to see that you're still holding the fort up well, Max_87. :mrgreen: Some headbanging, just because I like the smiley. :wall:

20. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Welcome back, Ambassador Kosh! :wave:

Do drop by more often! And don't forget to check out our mega-contest! :thumb: