BenQ Joybook 7000 Notebook Review Posted!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

You followed our journey to the Loss of Joy (Episode II of the Notebook Purchase Fiasco). Now read the review!

Join Peaz as he explores the features of the BenQ Joybook 7000 and find out of it was worth all the anguish and pain.

[​IMG]

Link : BenQ Joybook 7000 Notebook Review!

2. siddiq

siddiq Newbie

ive been waiting for this :thumb:

:think: interesting got remote control also. the unique hinge and the CD/DVD+RW Combo Drive for that price. :thumb:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

:thumb: finally .. waited for this review :thumb: & its here :thumb:

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Ahh.. Something new to report. :wall:

Today, I turned on my Joybook 7000 to check my WiFi module (which failed to work at Starbucks last night). It booted up nicely and after the WiFi module connected to my network for about 10 secs, the notebook suddenly powered off and REFUSED to power on! :shock:

Of course, I panicked... All my work in there. Gone case, I thought. I tried removing the A/C power but to no avail. It just wouldn't boot up. So, I took it straight to HighPoint.

Luckily, over there, the nice technician discovered it was the battery... some contact problem. :doh: :wall:

To get the notebook started, he merely removed the battery and started it up using AC power. I should have thought of that! :doh:

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

so .. are they gonna replace your battery ?

6. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

WOW.. that's a weird problem.... How was is possible that the Battery made ur notebook unable to power up??? :think:

7. Adrian Wong

No idea. :nuts:

They are not going to change it just yet. But if it happens again, I can request for a replacement.

8. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

I like the remote controller which can hide in the laptop....Other is just like normal, the holding for LCD doesn't look that strong, coz i saw IBM is using steal to hold the LCD screen. How is joybook??/ :think:

9. peaz

The screen is bright, one of the brightest I've seen. The LCD is pretty good. nice viewing angle but still losses to the high end fujitsus and Toshiba (those that does not use matte surface but looks glossy one).

As for the latch, yes, i would wish that they could use steel too. BUT, it's suprisingly sturdy and strong. Definately unlike Dell or even Acer. Also, it's partly made of mag alloy if i'm not mistaken.

Basically, everything is pretty good. I'm very satisfied with the notebook. This is basically the only BenQ notebook I can safely recommend. Forget about all the other models. they are pretty crappy, the build and all.

The key reason is that it's using a mag alloy chasis. and that is one hell of a factor when it comes to build quality. Even IBM's R series is not as good. Actually, only IBM's T series is nice... I'm now using the X series in my new company and i don't like it at all. It's small, but feels filmsy. :hand:

10. m00j

m00j Newbie

For the Aussies

Yay! the review is finally here!

A few other things to note, specifically for fellow Aussies looking for this laptop:

In Australia the following things are different:
    512Mb RAM (mine had 2x256Mb Samsung sticks)
    4x Super Multi Drive (i.e. burns CD, DVD+R/W, DVD-R/W and DVD-RAM)
    Intel B/G wireless chip (most Aussie retailers are stating ABG but it is not true)
    Windows XP PRO
    NO Carry bag (some places are offering it, but they are expensive).

The easiest way to get one in Australia is from Retravision. You should be able to pick one up for $2400. You can save another $100 if you shop around though (uMart in Brisbane have em cheaper).

I have found the remote to be a little flimsy and not work all that well all the time. It is sometimes hard to press the buttons and get it to work.

Also, I found that if you uninstall QMedia and install the Microsoft Keyboard software you can gain full control over all 4 hotkeys and then you don't have the QMedia thing annoying you all the time.

Also for reference the review did not mention the other software that comes standard. You get QMediaCenter which is sort of like Windows Media Centre edition, a BenQ update program (which does not seem to work) and Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security 2004.

On the scales mine weighs in at 2.2Kg.

Gaming performance is decent but nothing compared to my 6800GT in my desktop :p This machine can easily handle 60+FPS in Half Life 2 multiplayer when you set the detail settings to low and play at the screens native resolution. You could probably even pull of medium without too much trouble.

As for the drive popping open problem – I have not experienced that myself yet. I actually have trouble opening my drive as the button is flush with the case :p

One thing I would have preferred is for the battery to be centred and not have the foot attached to it. That way when you were using it at a power point for extended periods of time you could remove the battery.

I did a lot of research on what laptop I should buy and the BenQ joybook 7000 was by far the one that came closest. I wanted something light, around 1.6Centrino speeds, 512Gb, and the ability to game on it. The only other laptop that meets all these specifications is the Sony S series which was around 60 - 70% dearer.

11. peaz

Interesting, will be trying out that MS Keyboard software as soon as I get home!

Actually, after reformating the system to install XP Pro, I didn't even bother to install QMedia! LOL... :D

12. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Haha yes i agree with that the R series is not that good, T is a lot much more better in performance and size view :thumb: I am newbee so no chance to have a good one.. :shifty: X series never try before so dunno how is it...

Just feel that latch is important for the notebook, what other notebook usinf steal other than IBM??? and how is the BenQ display screen almost same standard as?? :think:

13. peaz

Hey do beware, I've heard of problems on the R series... not on IBM's regular quality control....

I agree, nothing is better than the steel latch that IBM uses... But as for BenQ's well, maybe you can check out my notebook when you come over the next time. Also, for the screen. It's hard to just tell these things off hand :p

Anyways,I think you could have gotten a better deal instead of an R series IBM... What are the specs and the price of it? R50 right?

14. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

This is company laptop so i am not so sure about the price selling out side..My R40 is running centrino 1.3 with 512 RAM ..If R series got problem or spoil, then i will get a new laptop :whistle: :mrgreen:

Ya i for sure will check out your BenQ joybook, coz never see before also hahaaaa :p

15. m00j

m00j Newbie

I just got my Copy of Australian T3 Magazine today (http://www.t3.co.uk/ - UK versions website but the Aussie one is poor).

They reviewed the joybook 7000 as well:

"It's hardly an Earth-shaking world first, but the Joybook 7000 still has plenty going for it. If only the power versus battery life problem had a happier ending"

Pros: Stylish design. Easy-to-use proprietary software. Lightweight

Cons: Below average battery life. Underpowered speakers. Noisy optical drive

Ratings:
    Performance: 4/5
    Value: 4/5
    Overall: 4/5

That’s the gist of it, I don't think I can legally reproduce the whole review here :p

There was also a whole page advert for it. The advert is a guy sitting on the toilet holding the joybook up, fully opened (so it looks like it is a magazine and he is looking at a double page centrefold spread) with the words "Judge a book by its cover" at the top and "Joybook" underneath.

I might scan it in if you guys want to see it - BenQ should not mind extra advertising!

16. Adrian Wong

ROTFL! For real? They actually ran an advert like that? LOL! :haha:

Hey, please do scan it for us. Wouldn't mind taking a look at the advert.

Thanks!

17. Fat`Albert

Fat`Albert Newbie

howcome i cant find an american vendor for this notebook? i was looking around trying to find a price and i didnt have any luck.

the notebook isnt even listed in the benq products on the american section of their own website!! ...but then i went to the singapore section, and there it was. whats the story?

18. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Looks like BenQ is not selling any computers in North America.

There are no PCs or notebooks listed on the American website. Only monitors, mobile phones, peripherals, etc.

19. Fat`Albert

Fat`Albert Newbie

boooo :evil:

oh well i guess ill have to keep looking... hey is the celeron M a decent or crappy processor? because those celerons are always cheaper than the centrino books :think:

20. m00j

m00j Newbie

The Celeron M is a cut down version of the Pentium M found in Centrino Laptops. Unfortunately aside from the cache which was cut (they are 512Kb/1Mb cache) they also cut Intel SpeedStep. So while they are low powered and have the deep sleep modes etc they do not throttle their speeds and voltages back to 600 MHz during light use like the Pentium M does - they just scream along at full speed all the time. If you’re using the processor basically 100% of the time (i.e. playing games, complex calculations, folding etc) this will not affect battery life, but if you’re doing something like checking emails, browsing the web and using word/excel it will. The only time the processor speeds up for that type of stuff is when the program initially loads.

Of course if battery life is not a concern, and you just need something thin/light to make it easy to travel from power point to power point with light battery usage than the Celeron M can work wonders. Unlike the Pentium 4 it runs cool like a Centrino and thus can be built into a small laptop.

You can see info on the celeron M here:
    http://www.intel.com/products/notebook/processors/celeron_m/

and compare it to the pentium M (centrino):
    http://www.intel.com/products/notebook/processors/pentiumm/index.htm

2 people like this.