Logitech Z-680 5.1 Speaker Set Review Posted!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Tired of puny little squeaks from cheap speakers? Throw them aside and bring in the REAL stuff!

Today, we will take a look at a set of high-end 5.1 speakers - the Logitech Z-680! If you were not satisfied with the likes of mid-range speaker sets like the Z-640, maybe this will impress you!

[​IMG]

Link : Logitech Z-680 5.1 Speaker Set Review!

2. HunterZ

HunterZ Newbie

I'm not sure about the Z-680's, but the Z-5500s (which are very similar) have a built-in crossover that makes enabling bass redirection settings on the computer redundant. I found this out through experimentation though...

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I actually redirect the bass via my sound card... :think:

4. HunterZ

HunterZ Newbie

PsYkHoTiK: What I'm saying is that you shouldn't do that because the speakers will do it no matter what (you can't adjust or disable the internal crossover), and if you have both the sound card and the speakers do it then you might lose sound quality (unless both are set to the same crossover frequency, and I have no idea what the Z-680's internal crossover frequency is).

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I set the cutoff at 80Hz... If I dont enable it, the bass becomes too boomy..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  6. HunterZ

HunterZ Newbie

Whatever sounds best to you is definitely what you should go with in the end :) It might help to set your equalizer to a flat setting - there's definitely no need to compensate with those speakers.

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I don't consider it as compensating... :p Its optimizing in my book... :p But like you said, what ever sounds best.. ;) It goes true with anyone... :thumb:

8. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

You know what works insanely well with these?

True digital audio! :thumb:

I have a mini-plug to coax cable that I've used to hook up my Audigy 2 ZS to these. Now movies and stuff just sound FANTASTIC when you switch to Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround. :thumb: :dance:

(You set up your programs to use SPDIF or whatever it's called out and the speakers to the digital decoding. :thumb: )

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Ooh... I gotta give those a go... :mrgreen:

10. DanaG

DanaG Newbie

Even better would be using the real-time dolby digital ENcoding on the nForce2 MCP-T southbridge. If you have a motherboard with the proper southbridge, you will not even NEED an add-on soundcard.

www.nforcershq.com/forum

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Unfortunately, I dont have a NF2... :mrgreen:

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I don't think there's any onboard solutions that could beat good standalone cards. :)

13. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

Agreed. I have a sweet 5.1 on my ASUS motherboard, but no way in hell I'd ever use it. ;)

14. Klark

Klark Newbie

hI....

this is my first post here and i appreciate a lot some tips before buying a Z-680. Please can you tell me the if these speakers is total compatibility with Audigy 2 ZS ?

Is there some Z-680 versions that have some sub-w problems ? like heat a lot or commun failed after 30 minutes using.

Im tryng to decide to buy this speakers, but some forum are saying that has a lot o problems (dont use the THX and DTS functions) if this speaker is connect withl with audigy 2 Zs.

I thank you if you could help me giving more solid information about the quality of this speaker.

ps: my english is bad !!!!

cya
    Luiz

15. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Hi Klark/Luiz! Welcome to ARP forums! :mrgreen: :wave: :beer: :arp:

I am actually using the speakers with my Audigy 2 ZS and I can say right off the bat that it works perfectly with it. I've used DTS as well as THX... The subwoofer is very powerful and very well built. So with that, I believe that it is a good purchase.

16. werty316

werty316 Newbie

Those are some sweet speakers. I currently have Z-560s and I love'em. very powerful and I got them at a cheap price of $99CAN just before christmas. nice eh?

17. astrallite

astrallite Newbie

80hz spike on the Z-680 sub. You'll find that setting the crossover on A2s at 80 doesnt actually do that, it introduces an extra LFE channel at -8db which takes up more bandwith.

Just turn the sub down, or use an equalizer to turn the volume down at 80hz.

18. astrallite

astrallite Newbie

My setup: currently I have the Z-680 front channel speakers replaced with a pair of Athena AS-B2s hooked up to an Onkyo SR502 receiver...I have the the analog signal split at the source (Audigy 2), one going to the sub, and the other going to the receiver. This way the receiver is sending out the entire frequency range to the satellites AND the sub is playing. Very nice setup ;)