Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Broadband Router Pictorial Review Posted!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

2. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

you don't see that much review on routers anymore.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hehe.. That's why I did it. Hopefully, it will help people out there who are thinking of buying this router. :mrgreen:

4. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

there's a lot of news on this router. Apparently, you can get firmware to make it a better router that has stronger signal and ip6 enabled.

5. my44

my44 Newbie

Hmm, to get more interest from people, maybe a review of Maxis 3G PCMCIA card? HEHE

6. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Haha, i'd love to do that.... if someone would be able to sponsor that to us! :D Almost RM2K to startup! Phew...

Anyway.. the LinkSys Router looks good. The setup/config is done up pretty well. :thumb:

7. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

LOL. to think i bought this router 2 - 3 months ahead of you. :p but anyways, i've gone through the pages and it seems more like a pictorial manual.

i mean, serious. you could print out every page and compile it and it'll be a manual.

it worked flawlessly on my machines, but as for some machines it's a headache to get them to go on WiFi. i never could get them to work, i believe it's due to those laptops having a lot of other settings inside (VMware and all) that conflicts DHCP IP assigning/acquisition.

the sub-sections link in the user interface is rather dark, some might missed it. i know i did, later i realized there were words there.

it's still sad that no one i know (or seen in the oceans of other forums that i googled) has successfully setup playing C&C:Generals via Direct Connection behind this router. :D

8. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Hmm try using a port monitoring utility like Active Port (http://www.download.com/Active-Ports/3640-2085_4-10121832.html) and see what Generals is using for their ports? Then open up that port and try?

9. Adrian Wong

Really? I will check it out! :thumb:

10. Adrian Wong

Yeah, the sub-section links are pretty hard to see. :mrgreen:

The signal I'm getting is excellent but for some reason, the router drops the signal once in a while and the card has to reacquire it. :think:

11. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

check out this site
    http://www.hyperspacehome.com/hyperwrt/

also google the model and ip6 firmware and you can find the firmware to crack the ip6.

12. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

hehehe, I know something more than Adrian:).

13. Adrian Wong

ROTFL!! Looks like there are two hacked firmwares but one, you have to pay USD 20 per year for it. :think:

The other's free but I'm not sure how reliable it is. :think:

14. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

ah, sorry. I don't have this router, hence I didn't know about the fee but from what I have seen people try it, they seem to be happy with it.

15. Adrian Wong

Hehe.. I will give it a try after I finish testing it. :mrgreen:

Now, can anyone loan me a wireless-G card??? :wicked:

16. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

Sure, if you'd pay shipping ... :mrgreen:

17. Adrian Wong

ROTFL! It will have to be a local loan. Otherwise, I might as well just get a wireless-G card myself! :haha:

18. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

hehehe, these cards are super cheap, might be cheaper just get one. If you were in Soca, I would loanyou mine:)

19. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

yup, been there. done that. no one's able to get it to run Direct Connection behind router yet. i've searched a lot of forums already.

anyway the last time i tried downloading Active Ports from download.com it wasn't the one that i used to own (and liked) but luckily as i went through my files warehouse, i manage to find the Active Ports that i liked.

it's not the port or port forwarding issue. no amount of port-forwarding help. :D it's a game problem. ;) it seems that when i connect to my friend, he can see me going into his game but later gets dropped out of the game.

this means that indeed my machine did went to the router and to the destination IP.

however it is believed that the IP for my machine transmitted to the host machine, is displayed as local IP (192.168.1.x) instead of WAN IP and therefore the returning packet never came back to my machine.

Adrian, mine doesn't drop the signal though.

If you don't mind, i'd like to suggest a few things that's good to be added to the review.

for example, do a 1GB or something huge file transfer over the to a machine that's connected wirelessly. see if the it gets cut off.

i've heard of stories about how people can't do huge transfer via WiFi but i've done 2GB+ worth of transfer over WiFi on WRT54G and it worked great. :D

however my PCMCIA / USB devices are 802.11b
    (after i typed this - i realize you didn't have a WiFi-G card.)

20. my44

my44 Newbie

Yeah that silly company is ripping us RM1,600 for the PCMCIA card. Wait lah till it's cheaper.