Seagate 400GB Barracuda 7200.8 SATA Hard Disk Review Posted!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Size matters when it comes to hard disks. Bigger is always better. Everyone is always looking out for the biggest hard disk in the market.

Today, we are going to take a close look at one of the biggest hard disks in the market - the Seagate 400GB Barracuda 7200.8 SATA hard disk!

Check out why we consider it worthy of our Reviewer's Choice Award!

[​IMG]

Link : Seagate 400GB Barracuda 7200.8 SATA Hard Disk Review!

2. werty316

werty316 Newbie

Damn who nowadays actuallt needs 400gigs damn!!!! :shock:

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

You don't? :mrgreen:

4. werty316

werty316 Newbie

Well it would be alright be I would rather like 2 200gigs instead just incase one craps out. I mean to loose 400gigs of data would suck big time and thats if you can fill 400gigs.

5. Adrian Wong

Well, think 400GB x 2?? :wicked:

6. yhng

yhng Newbie

I disagree with the acoustic of the drive though. the 7200.8 is noticably louder than both my 7200.7 when seeking. I run my HDDs without a case and that really irritates me. At least with the Samsung Spinpoint, the 7200.7 is only marginally noisier but the 7200.8 has a bigger difference. As such for acoustic reasons, I won't recommend the 7200.8 seagate

7. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Really? It sounds pretty quiet to me. Hmmm... :think:

8. werty316

werty316 Newbie

800gigs now that would be something. I wondering if anyone can even fill that up?

Also when it comes down to how loud it is my WD WD1200JB and Seagate 7200.7 are pretty quite I can't really hear them at all. Even with the case fans running which you can hear.

9. yhng

yhng Newbie

Well I have no idea if it's due to my particular drive, but the 7200.8 has a slight whine when idle (similar to the 7200.7) and a low, rumble when seeking. It annoys me that it performs a self diagnostic when idle and hence the seek noise. I didn't mind this with my 7200.7 but the 7200.8 is definately more obvious.

10. Adrian Wong

That's odd. The two 7200.8 drives here are quiet, except when they seek. Even then, the seeks are low-pitched.

11. yhng

yhng Newbie

Yup that's what I meant. It is still a moderately silent drive, but if you are in the environment I'm in, the slightest noise is obvious.

I guess silence is quite a subjective matter. To me, the increase in seek noise is a no-no and I guess for this reason I won't prefer the 7200.8 over some of the HDDs I have. AFAIK, the 7200.8 does not support AAM and as such if i wanted a dead silent PC, it's still not the drive I would recommend

12. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Yup. agreed that it's subjective. However, the one here that I'm using is really silent, then only noise I hear from my machine is the low hum of the 120mm fan on my radiator....

13. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Maybe it's because I am used to the Western Digital Caviar which had a rather loud whine. :think:

14. yhng

yhng Newbie

LOL...I think i'm just spoilt with the samsung spinpoints. I've previously got rid of all my WD Caviars and the loudest I had were the 7200.7. Now it's the 7200.8 :wall:

15. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

I sort of agree here.
    - 2x 200 GB HDDs are cheaper.
    - If you run them as separate drives they provide some storage safety, if you use raid to run them as one drive you get more speed.

Therefore it would be nice to see the benchmarks compared to a 2x200 GB raid configuration.

The only reason I see to buy a 400 GB HDD is because you really need the storage capacity but don't have the cooling/space/power supply needed for two drives.

Filling up 400 GB isn't very difficult if you do a lot of digital filming (and editing of those films), but you don't have individual files larger than 100 GB.

/Olle