Jetart HCA05 HDD Guard 3.5" Bay Hard Disk Cooler Review Posted!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Ever since the introduction of the 7200 rpm spindle speed in desktop drives, thermal dissipation has become an important issue for hard disks.

Today, we will take a look at the new Jetart HCA05 HDD Guard hard disk cooler. Let's see how well this slim cooler does!

[​IMG]

Link : Jetart HCA05 HDD Guard 3.5" Bay Hard Disk Cooler Review!

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Loading the hard disk by copying large files increased its temperature only about 0.5°C. But that's expected since the DiamondMax Plus 9 is only a 5400 RPM hard disk.

DM Plus 9 should be a 7200rpm drive .. dont you think so ? :think:

3. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Yeah, I'm very sure that it's 7200rpm :mrgreen:

4. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Confirmed

Maxtor.com

Boss is correcting the mistakes :mrgreen:

5. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

:think:

Tried something similar about 4 years before already.
    Even then it was pretty useless.

6. zy

Bestia, tried what ? :think:

7. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

Something similar like this bay-cooler.
    Same design, different manufacturer, different color.
    It's no "new invention", you know? ^^

8. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

When you said it's pretty useless what did you mean actually? Does not cool your HD/keep your HD alive? etc. :p

I always keep good airflow around the hard disk, so I never used any of these coolers :mrgreen:

9. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Yup it's not :mrgreen:

10. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

Well, my POV is if there's a 3.5" bay free between two disks there's really no need for something like this, no matter if there's a fan cooling down the area or not.
    You'd only be wasting one drive-bay.
    If there's no space between .. well, you could not mount it anyway. ^^
    If you're really in need of cooling down high powered, fast spinning HDDs you'd have to use something like, for example, Icy Dock, Cool Drive or Zalman's heat pipe anyway.

11. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

hmm, imo a hdd cooler is not a neccesity. somethings to consider if having intentions to buy one :-

1 . how long can it stretch your hdd life?
    2. is plunking down RM30-RM60 worth the extra 5'C drop in temperature for your hdd?
    3. the cost of hdd is always dropping...
    4. minor issue, but would you want the extra noise?
    5. extra juices being pumped into it = higher electricity bill..

:dance:

12. zy

i used to have those cheap 3.5" hard disk coolers..
    the fans crap out on me early..
    since then i dont care bout the coolers :p

anyway, my pc has a big 12cm fan blwing straight at it .. 90cfm .. but i doubt thats what passing through because the airflow for the intake fan is blocked :( .. maybe i should mod my front panel one day :mrgreen:

13. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

To me, this is a really subjective matter :mrgreen: Some would just spend a lot of these cooling stuffs which you think that it's unnecessary.

Well, I don't really know how much longer it can stretch your HDD life. But one thing for sure, installing these coolers to ones hard disk and gain an extra 5c stops one from worrying about high temperatures which might decrease the life span of the HDD. Only for those who are worrying about the temperatures, that is :lol:

Yup, it stops one from worrying about the temperature of hard disk :haha:

14. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

Mmh, I have seen few of these HD cooler, but I have not seem many people using it or promoting it. I think not many people are worrying about HD's heat but then again, usually HD is the least part in our system that we replace or need to replace as it didn't really give much performance increase as other parts.

15. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

When you have an old drive like my Maxtor which has been running for about 4 years now I think, almost 24/7, then you would really think twice.

All my important datas including all my hard work for ARP is in the drive. If the drive goes dead one day, I might jump down from Twin Tower! :haha:

The drive is not in excellent shape. There's now bearing whining noise, extremely hot running temperature if not actively cooled (55C). Even with a fan blowing at it, it's still hovering at 49-50C, which is hot for any drive.

Even though it's no proven, but I guess the drive should last longer with lower running temperature...

16. zy

can i have your pc after you jump :mrgreen:

17. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I hope your HD die soon and after you jump I will have your A64 venice and DFI :haha:

18. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

@Chai:

So the recommendation is "If you keep a drive running even aware of that it's defective already and in addition you store important data on it, care 'bout its temperature."? :shifty: :haha: ;) ^^

19. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

LoL! Good point :mrgreen:

20. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actually, it is, especially if you are using a fast (and hot!) hard disk.

Of course, it depends on how much you value the data on your hard disk! :mrgreen:

If you don't have anything critical on your hard disk, then yeah, you can probably get away without a cooler. Losing the hard disk won't be of much consequence.

But if you have critical data on your hard disk, you will want ever precaution taken. That includes cooling it. The cost of the hard disk is often inconsequential to the value of data stored within. ;)