The ASUS PEG Link Mode Guide Posted!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

It's been just over a year since ASUS was forced to officially announce the PEG Link Mode. Unfortunately, very little is known about it till today.

That's what we intend to correct today. After digging deeper into the mystery of PEG Link Mode, we are proud to present our report on what it actually does!

[​IMG]

Link : The ASUS PEG Link Mode Guide!

2. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

mmh, I thought it's just for the older 865/875 chipset that the ped is used. is it being used besides that?

3. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

Sure you're not confusing PAT with PEG?

4. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

oh sorry, i probably am:). I thought that's the one where you can unlock the feature. I was wrong:). sorry.

5. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

Dun mind, nobody's perfect. ;) ^^

6. plextor1000

plextor1000 Newbie

The PEG link mode of Asus is a quick easy overclocking Mode.

The best way to see result is testing with the PCIx 6600 GT. Default clockspeeds are 500 / 1000 . When PEG Link set to faster , thecard is automatically set to 535 / 1050 , but with better performance when running a benchmark, compared with PEG LINK set to auto and manually overclock the card to this frequency

The maximum overclock frequency is not hopping higher, the max is still the max. Even strange is also when the setting is set to Fastest, and switch to a PCX 6800 GT or Ultra, mostly the system don't boor up anymore

But when adding a 7800 GT / GTX the system boot up,runs normally , but no effect either, with stock speeds or heavily overclocked.

I am testing since the board came out ( Asus A8N-SLI ) and was directly interested in the strange feature and starts testing with it. Some cards will not overclocking for the best when SLI is enabled, when the PEG is set to fastest the beginning is seto for overclocking, this works always

For questions , feel free to ask

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Did you check the clock speeds of the 7800 GT/GTX?

8. plextor1000

plextor1000 Newbie

Yes, i tested it with the 7800 GT and the GTX . Both cards are working atstock speeds even with Auto setting or set to faster , or fastest.

maybe the Geometric delta clock ( the jumping 40 mhz for the core ) can not handle with it. On the moment of creating the PEG setting i guess Asus had no Geforce 7 series to test, it does not excist on that moment.

But the Big advantage is not real the issue , the cards cannot overclock higher with or without the setting, the only difference is hihger stock speeds

The 7800 series can better overclocked manually , like core en memory and the GDC clock ( By example GF 7800 GTX , Core 475 , memory 1300 and the GDC on 50 mhz )

9. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actually, you can manually overclock any card better than what PEG Link Mode can do. It's actually just a way for ASUS motherboards to achieve better results in tests where the reviewer is not aware of what PEG Link Mode does.

We will be getting the 7800 GT as well as the 7800 GTX again for some tests. We will try checking them out to see if PEG Link Mode does anything to them.

10. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

The ASUS PEG Link Mode Guide Rev. 2.0!

The guide has just been updated! :wave:

It's been just over a year since ASUS was forced to officially announce the PEG Link Mode. Unfortunately, very little is known about it till today.

That's what we intend to correct today. After digging deeper into the mystery of PEG Link Mode, we are proud to present our report on what it actually does!

Here are the updates:-
    • Major update of the guide.
    • Added clock speed results from the new GeForce 7800 GT and 7800 GTX cards.
    • Added clock speed results from the GeForce 6800 GT card.
    • Added clock speed evaluations for all NVIDIA and ATI cards.
    • Rearranged and streamlined the guide.
    • Rewrote the conclusion.

[​IMG]

Link : The ASUS PEG Link Mode Guide Rev. 2.0!

11. carreragtr

carreragtr Newbie

I recently got a ASUS a8n sli premium mobo.When i benched it i got distinctly lower scores than my old a8n-e.The decrease was in the range 12-18% in 3dmark03 and 3dmark05 and 5-10% in games. I started to look for culprits.All the hardware and software was the same as the previous setup including the drivers.The only thing i could locate was the peg link mode in bios.In my a8n-e it was set to auto, but i had disabled it in the new mobo.I set it to auto and benched again.The socres jumped back to their original values.Since 15% is not a small amount i ran all the tests again.I was able to reproduce the scenario again without even a small change.I know rojakpot carried an article in the subject, but 15% is not a tiny amount by any standards. I will do some further tests and post later. Can anyone who has peg link mode in their bios please check if this is happening to them?

PS: The results are reproducible to the last decimal.Its identical even after 5 runs.Something weird is definitely going on here.

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It's nothing weird actually. We have alreayd tested and found the reason for the performance boost.