ARP's Linux Noob Guide Posted!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

For many newbies, Linux is an exciting but daunting operating system to learn. So flexible and powerful but yet alien to a new generation pampered by graphical user interfaces.

In that light, we present the first part of our Linux Noob Guide. Let djspinnet guide you on your first step in Linux!

[​IMG]

Link : ARP's Linux Noob Guide!

2. meteo

meteo Newbie

Will future articles include information on how to install Linux on your pc? I am familiar with the unix environment, but I'm a total noob on how to install it (i.e. what distro to use, how to install it in a computer with Windows already installed, etc.)

3. lklatmy

lklatmy Newbie

Yes, I totally agree. May be this article should assume that readers hv zero knoledge abt Linux (incidentally, I'm one).
    After reading your article,my impression is that you r teaching me the variou function of a Ferrari when I hv no idea of the setout and various buttons in it !! ;) ;)

4. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

That might be difficult, because there are just so many Linux distros around, but I'll see what I can work out :)

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

yea.. i want a guide on how to install linux.....

so far i've only successfully installed debian linux..

but i've used linux before just for fun..

just dont know how to install it.. not familiar with the File System

6. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

For newbies like me... try out the Ubuntu build..it's quite user friendly to install! :D

www.ubuntu-linux.org

7. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

To tell you the truth, most modern distros now have a nice graphical step by step installer.

The kind where you click "next, next, next" - ok, something like that. :)

Alot of the preinstallation settings you need to fill in are very much self-explanatory, or well-explained in the installer itself.

8. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

9. wilfred

wilfred wilfblog.blogspot.com

i need a spare com to play play.... :) don't want to jeopordise my mp3/anime/etc collection..... and also my comp.. and i find installing it on vmware kinda wasted... must install on a physical computer leh :) been trying out the latest liveCD from gnome 2.12 :) slick... i still like gnome desktop... simple functinoal... easy to use...

10. hyper_raider

Yes i totally agree that Gnome is better...it is faster and less bloodier than KDE

11. wilfred

dunno why... but i still think linux is not ready for desktop :) at least for me to use comfortably with minimal hassle :D

12. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Haha. I tend to use KDE rather than GNOME.

I have 2 machines, a desktop and a portable, and neither are Windows :) No hassle, perfetly comfortable, and better and friendlier than Windows too :) And I think I've forgotten how to use Windows already... been ages since I last touched it!

13. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Any thoughts on Knoppix? I'm thinking about downloading the live CD to try it out... :think:

14. wilfred

I meant it's not ready for normal people, you're a linux guru :D

Yeah, you should give knoppix a try, there are many live cds out there, including ones from suse, gnome, etc... have fun :thumb:

15. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Haha.. it's very hard for me to live outside windows due to my development and work... :) most are windows based systems.

Maybe in the future when I start to work at enterprises taht uses Unix based systems :)

16. hyper_raider

Yeah its good to use knoppix to at least give yourself a feel of how the linux operating sytems works you know

17. wilfred

you should give gnome livecd a try if you get too overwhelmed by the changes... they really concentrate on human usability factors.... :D

1 person likes this.
  18. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

*Cough* Mac OS X! Packed with Unix toughness and goodness, and incomparable beauty :) Don't need to learn Linux to be a Unix user...

*coughs again* iBooks selling for RM3999, 1U AppleCenter selling Mac Minis for RM1699, and Powerbooks from RM6599 onwards! Hehehe... :) and nope, I am not a MacAsia or Apple employee or promoter..

Wilfred: Since when am I a Linux guru?

Ken: Well, work is work, you can still learn for knowledge's sake, and for home use. Plus, a lot people get impressed when you tell them you know how to use *nix :)

19. wilfred

since you know the insides of *nix more than normal people :)

20. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Just wondering, why is it *nix and not u nix? :think: