NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT Review!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

While everyone's clamouring for the GeForce 7800 GTX and paying top dollar for it, why not consider the GeForce 7800 GT? It has all the features of the more expensive card, albeit with lower performance.

Take a look at our review of the NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT and decide if this is the card for you!

[​IMG]

Link : NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT Review!

2. sbohdan

sbohdan Newbie

OK, so it seems to me that by disableing overclockability on the 7800GT - the choice is simple:
    eighter get the GTX if you have the dough - or get the 6800GT and overclock it. this way you can reach the level of the 7800GT but for much less or better yet if you are adventurous: get the 6800LE with 256MB GDDR memory (same memory as on the 6800GT and 7800GT), open up the pipes and, voltmod and overclock. that would be the cheapest solution to get the 7800GT performance for 1/3 price :thumb:
    one more option: get a 6800GS and OC. overclocks like crazy :mrgreen:

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Nope, the disabling of overclocking is probably only on Nvidia samples. Manufacturer's card should be able to overclock, that's why companies like BFG has OC version of 7800GT.

And nope, overclocking 6800GT will never get you to 7800GT level, even 6800 Ultra would struggle to match.

4. sbohdan

sbohdan Newbie

well I did surpass a stock 6800ultra. still might be shy of the 7800GT but for much cheaper :thumb:
    an overclockable 7800GT might be something different though. to bad you couldn't OC. would be nice to know how much headroom there is. one thing: the cooling looks to be worse then on 6800GT so might limit OC'ing :wall:

EDIT: I just made myself a little sig. to fell more at home here :wave:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2005
  5. Chai

Even a stock 6800 Ultra was never close 7800GT. So if you are buying a new card, 7800GT should definitely be in your buying list, provided you can afford it. :D

6. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

NV didn't disable the overcloking capability.

u need to use powerstrip. coolbit doesn't work on GT and GTX, at least the reference samples NV sent to me on launch day

I then installed PS and viola, i opened the gate that leads me heaven

7. Chai

But it worked on 7800GTX for me... :think:

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

it did work partly for me on GTX too..

i have no idea why.

i then passed the card to my friend and he used powerstrip to oc. his managed to hit higher than the my finding (I couldn't go higher as the integrated fast test kept failing" and when he returned it he suggested to me to try powerstrip. I did and he was right.

did a search and found out that forumers (OPP ..etc) who received the same press sample used PS to oc too. maybe coolbit didn't work for them as well.

9. Chai

I did try with Rivatuner with similar results. So I was assuming something was wrong with the card instead of the software... :think: