Seagate 8GB Photo Hard Drive Review!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Want a fast, large and cheap CompactFlash card? Yes, you can have your cake and eat it too! Introducing the new Seagate 8GB Photo Hard Drive!

Join us today as we examine the Photo Hard Drive and see how it stands up against other flash-based media!

[​IMG]

Link : Seagate 8GB Photo Hard Drive Review!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Adrian, did you try to test it's performance with the D70?

You could try the following

Full manual setting, manual AF
    Shutter 1/500 (make sure there's no shutter lags)
    Set to burst mode
    Cover the lens with the lens cap to always capture a consistent black.
    Set to RAW mode (you should get about 4.8mb each shot)
    Disable long exposure NR just to make sure

-> Shoot in burstmode and record the shutter slaps.

That should give you a consistent file size. Also, comparing the recorded sound will reveal how fast the D70 can write to the card. Of course, we are comparing both the camera's ability to flush it's own buffer to the camera and also the CF performances on the D70.

But I'm curious becuase PC->CF and CF->PC performance often are slower than Camera->CF and CF->Camera performance.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Nope. Unfortunately, no, I did not test with the D70. I only had a short time before I had to send the card back. :(

Actually, I used the new Kingston 15-in-1 High-Speed Card Reader we reviewed for the test. It should have a faster controller than even the D70.

4. peaz

Ah, exactly why I wanted you to test in on a camera for real life application :D Oh well :) I guess I should still settle for a 1GB Lexar 80x card, 1 512MB secondary card and a CF to HD transfer module :p :LOL:

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It's quite pointless to test on D70. But if you want high performance card for better cameras, get Sandisk Extreme III or Lexar 133x.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  6. peaz

The reason is becuase I'm using a D70 mah. Of course, the Lexar 133x cards are always the safest cos it's FAST! Any camera that has a fast controller will be able to utilise it never the less.

7. Chai

I know... but it's pointless to other non-D70 users.

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actually, if the D70's controller is slower, then the speed of any card will be limited by the D70's controller. :think:

In any case, the results will be specific to the D70 and cannot be used as a valid comparison for other cameras. :think:

But if I ever have the chance to retest, I will do so and let you know. :think:

9. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

i tot d70 has one of the fastest controller?

10. Chai

Not really, only high end ones like D2 series, and recently, the new D200 is very fast too. Even Canon EOS-1 series are just behind them.

11. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

among the same range DSLR, D70's controller can be considered very fast right?

12. Chai

Yeah, but not fast enough to take advantage of even Kingston Elite Pro.

13. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

hahaha..I used to use that card with canon 300 for product shots last time. it was slowwwwwww....

then i tried D70...vrrrommmmmm...